Can someone please bring me a mail order bridle from the US?

steveinbsas

Registered
No there isn't a typo in the header. I'm looking for someone to bring me one or two bridles that I will order on line and then send them to me via OCA. They have many offices in CF and I will be happy to pay the shipping cost with paypal. I will also send whoever does this a "token" of my appreciation, but I would like that to remain a surprise until they receive it. ;)

I'm not in a hurry to receive the bridle(s), but I would like to buy them while they are available at the current price. I also like them for the padded design...for the comfort of the horse. :)

The bridle can be seen here:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/plymouth-padded-flash-bridle-by-smartpak-9023p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

The metal bit is not included so the combined weight of two bridles should be about the same as an average pair of men's shoes.

Please send me a PM if you would consider doing me this favor. :cool:

Do you have horses Steve? Stupid question really ha unless you are into some weird stuff...I'm very much missing being a horsey person after 4 years here.

Hahahaha. I am laughing reading Gringoboy. I misread it also and thought it said "bride." I was trying to think if I knew anyone who would be interested in a good looking American in Argentina! Hohohohahaha! Gotta learn to read more carefully! ;)

Steve - I'm not sure how familiar you are with horses so forgive me if I'm asking you questions you already know.

1) What type/size of horse are you buying the bridle for? Head size will determine bridle size (cob/horse/oversize) And different styles of bridles are used depending on the discipline.

2) You can usually get bridles here for the same or less than in the US.

3) A bridle at that price point won't be very nice leather.

4) Padding can actually be uncomfortable for the horse - again, it depends on horse/shape/etc.

For a lot of our horse stuff, I buy in the US (saddlepads/blankets/bits) because of the price differential. But bridles are usually easily found here and are pretty reasonably priced.

Anyway, sorry, just wanted to point out a few things that you may not have considered.

I did some more shopping on line last night and, for about the same price can buy this complete set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390390165480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

This beats anything I can buy here...and though not pictured also includes the metal bit.

Of course this will weigh more than the bridle alone. My idea of a token of my appreciation is to offer (in addition to reimbursing the cost of shipping) the person who brings the set to Argentrina and sends it to me their choice of a drawing by Argentine artist Carlota Malamfant. I have many to choose from and will add some photos of some of her drawings to the blog in the next week. There are some "colorized" (with crayon) portraits that really capture the Argentine look.

http://www.carlotamalamfant.blogspot.com/

There is a small art gallery on Corrientes near the obolisco that has some of her artworks. I was there last in 2009. Her small drawings were priced at $600 pesos. I have drawings and studies for paintings that date back to the 1920's and 30's. She was a student of Antonio Alice and made her living painting portraits. I bought everything that was in her possession at the time of her death at the age of 92...including her sketchbooks from La Escuela Bellas Artes in the 1920's and paintings and drawings of her family and friends that were never offered for sale.

She was not a famous artist. Through the mid 20th century women were generally excluded from the art scene in Argentina and few were able to exhibit there work in galleries. She did exhibit in Paris in 1933. In the book "100 PINTORES DEL ATRTE DE LOS ARGENTINOS 1799 -2006" only four of the artists are women. Juana Lumerman (another of my favorite Argentine artists) is mentioned in the text.

I also have a few paintings (pastels) on artboards by Malamfant that she did in the 1980's in Bariloche and Mar Del Plata. They are nice but are unsigned. I would be happy to include one of them as well.

I love her pictures and most everything in your collection. I would be happy to help you, but we won't be returning till next November. I'm sure someone will will bring it sooner. If not Tom and I can, let me know by early Nov.
Nancy

Hopefully I'm not annoying you.

Do you have a horse already? (I'm assuming this is for you). If so - breed/size?

1) The only bridles you'll see in black are in dressage.
2) No point in purchasing a girth unless you have measured your horse (have you?).
3) It appears it's also black - which won't match any english saddle unless it's a dressage saddle. (ditto leathers/bridle/reins/etc - we don't use black except in dressage).
4) Are they new leathers? If not, you don't want them - leathers stretch.
5) You need to know the bit size that your horse takes.

Purchasing any type of set is generally a bad idea unless you have multiple horses and can switch/swap different pieces for different horses.

AGain, maybe you're a horse person but if not, when purchasing tack, have someone who has experience help you. Bridles need to be fitted appropriately. Stiff leather will cause rubs, too big/too small will cause pinching. The wrong bit or size can hurt the horse (and in turn, lead to you getting hurt).

Good tack is pricey but it will last forever if maintained properly. But it's very important you get/use the right tack.

citygirl is obviously some sort of spy cos her knowledge of horses indicates that she has spent a wee bit of time in the country....

Back