Can tourists buy health insurance in AR?

Oh and speaking of public hospitals not having basic supplies. I once went to a public hospital here and when the doctor needed to look down muy throat he did't have that thingee with the light and he actually stuck his cellphone in my mouth and turned on the light on his cell phone to investigate my throat.

"it's affordable here"
"it is pretty cheap"

Jeebus! How much is medical insurance in the US?!?
I've got it for my son, but there's no way I can afford it for me - it would work out at about 15% of my disposable income.

I have been having a "wild goose chase" trying OSDE to sign me up.

Their customer service sucks. I sent them a email. No response. I called them up to send me someone to sign me up. No response! I went to one of their office near Alem Subte station. I had a long chat. And asked them to send someone to my house for signing me up and explaining me the fine details in English..No response!

For just a few months I can recommend Worldnomads (http://www.worldnomads.com). I am using it myself until I get my residency etc. here in Argentina. You can sign up after you have arrived in Argentina and also extend it should you stay longer than originally planned.

DavieW said:
"it's affordable here"
"it is pretty cheap"

Jeebus! How much is medical insurance in the US?!?
I've got it for my son, but there's no way I can afford it for me - it would work out at about 15% of my disposable income.

Good medical insurance in the USA isn't cheap but it's not insanely expensive like some think. We pay a bit more than we were paying in Argentina. We are on a great plan in the USA and since I own a company I self-insure my family. Here are the rates we're paying.

Over 36 years old: $430 US dollars per month

26 to 35 years old: $354 US dollars per month

Kids : $246 US dollars @ per month

We have a similar plan to the OSDE 410 which I consider one of the best in Argentina. This will give you perspective on cost differences between Argentina and the USA.

earlyretirement said:
We have a similar plan to the OSDE 410 which I consider one of the best in Argentina. This will give you perspective on cost differences between Argentina and the USA.

yes, OSDE 410 looks good. They even say that if the matter is serious, they refer you to doctors in USA for up to 250K.

Do you know much about this part?

How to avail a US health insurance if you are not a resident or a citizen or traveling there but want to have it

Ceviche said:
yes, OSDE 410 looks good. They even say that if the matter is serious, they refer you to doctors in USA for up to 250K.

Do you know much about this part?

How to avail a US health insurance if you are not a resident or a citizen or traveling there but want to have it

Nope. I have no idea about that part but I'd be leery about them really referring to doctors in the USA. Sounds more like a gimmicky type of thing.

But quite honestly, the doctors we had in Buenos Aires were all excellent. Top end hospitals like Trinidad Medical Center were as modern as most USA hospitals.

I'm not sure in what circumstances they would need to refer out to a physician in the USA but I'm sure they would be quite hesitant to do that.

Sorry for my late reply, but thank you all for the answers! Most appreciated. I had never heard of WorldNomads but that looks like a good alternative, I could do that at least for the first month to make sure I had coverage.

Back