Can You Buy Land As A Foreigner Now Without Dni?

The escribano says yes, I can use a CDI... hmm cool. My next question is, what the heck is a CDI? I understand so far that I have to get it from AFIP. Is it a quick tramite? Like the sort of thing one can do online, or go into an office and walk out with the same day?

Any insight much appreciated!

Read what you wrote: the escribano says yes, I can use a CDI.

If you believe there are changes that prevent you from buying the property, then forget it.

Obtaining a CDI from AFIP is simple. Anyone who presents a valid ID can get one.

ANSES administers payments of social security benefits

AFIP is the Internal Revenue Service that collects taxes

A CDI and CUIT are not the same.

AFIP issues the CDI

ANSES issues the CUIT and CUIL numbers to those who have DNI for residency or citizenship.

Small quibble: If I'm not mistaken, CUIT are issued by AFIP (not ANSES): directly comparable to TIN or EIN issued by IRS.
CUIL are issued by ANSES (local equivalent of Social Security Administration) but used by AFIP as well (just like IRS also uses your SSN though it was issued by SSA).

Here is the update and final clarity.

People didn't know what they were talking about initially. It is not a new restriction that foreigners need a DNI to buy land.

We can do so with a CDI which we get from AFIP.

But, you need to have a valid passport, be within your three month tourist visa (not expired) and then you can get a CDI, which you can use to buy land, car, etc.

http://www.afip.gob.ar/english/taxInformation.asp

Procedures related to aliens that make transactions in the Argentine Republic

Identification code (C.D.I.)

Why is it necessary to obtain an identification code (C.D.I.)?

The identification code is a numerical code that AFIP (Federal Administration of Public Revenue) grants to the individual or legal persons that do not have an Employee’s Tax Identification Number or an Identification Number for Taxpayers because there are no tax or social security binding issues.

The identification code will be obtained when opening a checking account or when the requirements of entities must be fulfill and the person does not have an Employee’s Tax Identification Number or an Identification Number for Taxpayers

What forms must be submitted?

To obtain the CDI the form 663 Nuevo modelo (Form. 663- new model) (Only available in Spanish) must be submitted in duplicate. Such form may be loaded from the AFIP’s web page (www.afip.gov.ar) or at any AFIP’s agency (Only available in Spanish).

Procedure to obtain the identification code

You may start the procedure at the AFIP agency (available in Spanish) which corresponds to the domicile of the person

Documentation to be submitted by residents abroad

Aliens residing outside the Argentine Republic must submit original and photocopy of the passport.
Residents in neighboring countries of the Argentine Republic may submit his original identification.
In addition, parties residing and doing business abroad must submit the passport or his original identification.
The documentation will be submitted by the legal representative, proxy or principal who must have an Employee’s Tax Identification Number, an Identification Number for Taxpayers or identification code.

The next question I have is - is there any difference between buying land with a CDI versus a CUIL with regards to selling it down the line?

I hear it can be quite difficult selling a property as a foreigner. If you have a DNI maybe it's better than having a CDI? And maybe it is even better if you have citizenship?

I wasn't able to do the CDI in the end because my visa is expired. So I'm starting residency process. I am told that at the end of my first appointment with migraciones, after I have presented all the things they need for me to apply for the rentista visa, then they will give me a piece of paper with a CUIL number. And then supposedly in a month I will have a temporary DNI. But that with this CUIL number I get the day of the first appointment, I can use it to buy land.

The next question I have is - is there any difference between buying land with a CDI versus a CUIL with regards to selling it down the line?

I hear it can be quite difficult selling a property as a foreigner. If you have a DNI maybe it's better than having a CDI? And maybe it is even better if you have citizenship?

I wasn't able to do the CDI in the end because my visa is expired. So I'm starting residency process. I am told that at the end of my first appointment with migraciones, after I have presented all the things they need for me to apply for the rentista visa, then they will give me a piece of paper with a CUIL number. And then supposedly in a month I will have a temporary DNI. But that with this CUIL number I get the day of the first appointment, I can use it to buy land.

You either buy property (an apartment, house, or land with or without a dwelling) with a DNI or a CDI. The requirement to have a CUIT or CUIL to buy property may be new, but it can only apply to those who already have a DNI.

Are you sure that if you have a DNI you also need a CUIL to buy property or that you will get the CUIL from migraciones?

If you have residency in Argentina and have a DNI, you will be able to get a CUIL issued by ANSES if you are employed. If you are not employed in Argentina you will be able to get a CUIT issued by AFIP.

Recently someone posted about receiving a CUIM from migraciones but I never heard of it before reading the post. Perhaps that's what you will get the day of the first appointment (as opposed to a CUIL).

If, in the future, your visa expires and you sell as a non resident, you will have to provide documentation which shows how much time you spent in Argentina and, unless the utility consumption (for a property that includes a dwelling) drops to near zero levels when you are out of the country, there will be taxes due on assumed rents (unless you have already declared the rental income and paid taxes on it). If you buy "land" without a dwelling this would obviously not apply unless you build a home on the land.

In short, it really doesn't make much difference if you buy as a resident or not, but it makes a difference when you sell and there shouldn't be any difference between selling property as a resident with a DNI or a citizen.

The first time I bought property in Argentina I had a precaria and a CDI but not CUIT or CUIL. Selling a few years later as a resident was actually quite simple. I welcome corrections and updates to this information as I haven't bought or sold in almost five years, but I have tried to keep up to date as I have land for sale where I now live.

Back