Canada vs US (for duel citizens)

texxaslonghorn said:
Bah! It's all in the eye of the beholder. The U.S. is so darn big that you can find somewhere enjoyable to live. I'd love to live in Canada for a while, just for the experience. But the U.S. is not all doom-and-gloom as some would have you believe.

I concur. As an American, I can complain about plenty with the country. And others can throw around stats. But it all depends on who you are and where you are at with your life. If you're struggling by some standards, than Canada is a better option. But if you fall into what would be middle class to wealthy in the US, then the US is likely a better option depending on where you chose to live. And then you look at the lifestyle you want to live. You like big city life? Well then good luck in Canada as you only have a few options. Weather a factor? In Canada, you get a choice: cold or rainy. In the US, you've got many more options in that regard including the popular cold of the northeast or rain in the northwest.

And of course, you need to factor in the tax system which is more important that the exchange rate. If you're working for a US company and getting healthcare, using the tax system to it's fullest when your accountant files your taxes, it's still much cheaper than Canada.

You're in a great spot though with dual citizenship. Personally, if I had that, I'd live in Seattle and keep a weekend place in Vancouver.

My parents cottage in Muskoka has definitely brought big points for living in Toronto however, the cold... is bitter!! As I went to a US university and high school I´ve definitely been wanting to spend more time in Canada besides just going in the summer to drink and the winter to snowboard.

Thanks so much for your opinions!! As my neutral-argentine hasn´t been any help in trying to decide.

Philsword said:
higher taxes than the U.S.

This simply isn't true. There are a number of US states, including New York and California, where typical tax rates are high than in Ontario for example - even after factoring in sales taxes for each local. If you to compare it New Hampsire, say, then Canada loses. But even most Canadians accept the blanket claim that Canadian taxes are higher than US taxes.

I lived in both New York city and Toronto and paid more in New York, without a doubt.

I believe the benefit begins to fade with higher tax brackets (i.e. greater income) becuase rich people in the US pay less taxes. (Warren Buffet, for example, pays a high rate of tax than his secretary).

But the answer the original question, I would pick Canada. While I love New York, it really wears on you after a few years. Toronto, or even better, Montreal are cool cities that are still well run despite years of budget cuts. They are also much cleaner and much, much safer than American counterparts - with typically 1/10 the murder rate and 1/20 the rate of other violent crimes.

It depends so much on what is important to you, what stage you are at, and what field your career is.

Being Canadian first and foremost, the quality of life and national values that are essential to me obviously prejudice it as my first choice. There are many parts of the US that I adore, but culturally, I just can't identify with a lot as well. Having your entire population grow up with access to health care and quality public education makes a significant difference in what the 'average' person is like and what they will require of their government. It always surprizes me how extreme the extremes are in the US... and how relatively little of the middle ground there is.

That said, there are great places in the US and lots of opportunity particularly if you are entrepreneurial. It's more affordable overall and there is a lot of support for small business.

The US. I love Canada and have lived there, but nothing big ever happens there. few invention,liittle global leadership.Career growth is limited. wages are comparably lower and the places I'd want to live-the better area of Vancouver and toronto are pratically prices.NYC

Canada pros - very liberal, multicultural (if you like it), pot-friendly (I don't smoke, but this is a good indicator), OK economy. Vancouver is very modern and almost feels like SE Asia.
Canada cons - epic housing bubble ready to pop, economy dependant on commodities, less opportunities for work or business, terrible climate in 99% of the country.

USA pros - everything much cheaper, real estate prices close to bottom, lots of opportunities even in recession, nicer climate
USA cons - sometimes too conservative, too religious, War on "everything", more spying, IRS (slightly worse than CRA, but since you are a US citizen there is no escape)

Quinn said:
....Weather a factor? In Canada, you get a choice: cold or rainy.....

Hmmm....all I can think of when I think of Montreal summers is hot and often sunny days, lower 30s (86F). Went back last July and guess what, another week in the lower 30s. It was great drinking cocktails on the numerous patios!

Back