Canned Jalapenos

Yeah I've not been impressed with any jalapeños I've bought here. Although I don't particularly like mushy jalapeños in the can, they are much better than flavorless mini green peppers I've found here, when making a spicy sauce or a "salsa".

Pick Market should have cans of jalapeños too, BTW. The one down the street from me at Libertad & Arenales does.

Thanks I'll check one of their shops!

The pickled ones aren't the best ever but they work well making salsa and they have the spice we want.

Anything chillies need to bought from an elderly woman selling her wares from an upturned vegetable, probably near a train station or on the periphery of another market.

Seek and ye shall find. Dont bother with the super markets. Anything good you find can be harvested for seeds and grown on a window box...get them down in late spring. Dont hurt to try.

... ask little old Bolivian ladies where they get there peppers. Or buy them from them. ...

...There are hot peppers that are even smaller than are like habanero hot....

This!

PS: You can ask for and sometimes find 'Aji Rocoto' (Capsicum Pubescens), enjoy!

try Capriccio's in Olivos..

tons of specialty item.. I saw jalapenos jarred today.. and he is lovely and speaks English.

I've seen them in Barrio Chino at Casa China (Arribeños 2173) and Tina & Co (Mendoza 1678) less than a month ago; at the Carrefour in Paseo Alcorta a couple of weeks ago, and at the Jumbo on Bullrich more than two months ago.

Also at Casa China are fresh jalapeños that have a good amount of heat. Oddly enough, I've found some small golf-ball-sized peppers, that look similar to bell peppers but much smaller, at the verduleria on Paraguay at Bulnes which are pretty hot, as well. I can't remember what they are called but will update this if I do. I buy these in bulk and freeze them for future use...pop them on the gas burner until I can smell them and then use them. Good luck!

SUGGESTION:

1) Buy fresh jalapeños
2) Clean an empty jar (of jam or whatever)
3) Slice jalapeños (or not)
4) Put jalapeños in clean jar
5) Fill jar to the top with white vinegar
6) Place jar in the refrigerator*

*Optional

I did this several times in Argentina. It is MUCH cheaper and it's much easier to find.
everything you listed, but between 1 and 2, I do roasting over a wood burning grill before packaging... like 'em smokey!

Use fresh ones, buy at the corner vegetable store. And for the person looking for beans, go to China town. There is a great variety of dried beans there.
Nancy

Telling someone to eat fresh jalapeños when they are looking for canned is a lot like telling someone who is looking for pickles to simply munch on a raw cucumber. I've never made my own, but Napoleon's recipe would work. You could even add carrots and onions and make some version of Mexican escabeche. Something like this: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pickled_jalapenos_escabeche/

And yes, the little ladies selling peppers on blankets have the good shit. They're all over town. Just keep an eye open when you're out and about.

I wish I could find canned water chestnuts. I've never seen them in barrio chino.

I've never had a problem finding canned water chestnuts in Barrio Chino - Asia Oriental usually has them, I was there last week and saw a bunch in stock. Right next to the bamboo shoots, next to the rest of the canned goods, towards the cash registers on the left hand side (if you are facing the cash register)

Back