canned pumpkin or pipe dream?

luddite

Registered
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know where to get canned pumpkin?

I'll bet pipe dream... you'll have to make your own.

Are you still going tomorrow to the gaucho feria?

I did see it many moons ago at Unicenter Jumbo's...but that was when they were catering more to U.S. holiday products...worth a shot.

I made a pumpkin cheese cake and used squash...the one that looks like a bell and tan colored..and just cut it up, took the seeds out and steamed it...let it cool some...took the meat out and then added brown sugar until it got the right sweetness ...used a hand mixer to make the texture very smooth. Worked great!

There is another squash I have used also it has a very dark green skin and short and wide and kind of bumpy...very sweet meat.

Don't know if they are here, but the tiny Cinderella pumpkins are the best for pies...just a tiny version of the American type orange pumpkin..very sweet!
Good luck!

I received a care package from the US with one VERY coveted can of pumpkin....what to make!!?? Pumpkin pie? pumpkin scones or muffins?? My mouth is watering just thinking of the options.

The combination of your username + pumpkin reminded me of an old joke..

What do Hutterites (or Mennonites) do on Halloween?

Pump kin :p

one of each!? Mini pie & 1/2 batch of scones? Then you don't have to share... :D

PS, You are in fact very lucky... I read there was a pun'kin shortage due to bad crop year.

Make your own! I used the gnarled green pumpkin/squash you can find at any verduleria to make a pumpkin pie last night and it was divine. You never would have known I didn't used canned pumpkin. I even blogged about it, with pictures:

www.vidadesconocida.blogspot.com

luddite said:
I received a care package from the US with one VERY coveted can of pumpkin....what to make!!?? Pumpkin pie? pumpkin scones or muffins?? My mouth is watering just thinking of the options.

I brought a can with me from my recent US trip. But I'm thinking the best way to stretch it out will be in the form of pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin milk shakes.

Also brought some pumpkin pie spice with me for a quick reminder every so often on helado, etc.

I always use butternut squash.

If you look at the ingredients on the canned pumpkin, you'll see it's mostly butternut squash

Back