Can't Open A Bank Account Without A Job In Argentina.

It can be difficult to get a regular checking account (cuenta corriente), particularly for foreigners. My wife finally was awarded one at Santander Rio after about 18 months of usage of her savings account.

The funny thing is that you never know what they are actually going to require for anything. The same set of requirements (or at least similar) were posted at Santander Rio. For example, although she had her DNI about three years ago, she didn't have a CUIL or a CDI until about six months ago. She was able to open up the savings account (caja de ahorro) without that, although she did have to have some services in her name. After 18 months of good history they called up one day and said with her permission they were going to convert the savings account to a checking account. Of course, things like references and other things to prove you are stable and live here, etc, the history of her checking account makes sense to account for those. But everything related to AFIP and proof of work and all was never required and is something she doesn't have anyway.

I went to buy a new office chair the other day and didn't have enough cash on me to buy it. I pulled out my AMEX from Santander Rio and the guy said "sorry, we don't take plastic." He did go on to say that they would accept a bank check - first time I'd ever had someone mention that.

Another thing that I continually see people on here talking about, which I've mentioned a number of times, is the difference between the debit card of a savings account and that of a checking account. Savings debit cards are very limited in their use (no online, no out of country, etc) but checking acount debit cards are completely different, more like what a debit card in the States are.

However, you can (after some history with your savings account) get an AMEX (or other credit card) that is completely usable in all situations and can act like a debit card if you pay off your monthly balance each month.

You will need a DNI, but just go to another bank. I use Santander Rio, and let me tell you, it is absolutely horrible. Sure, it gives discounts, but you will lose a massive amount of time dealing with this bank because so many use it. If you have to use Santander Rio, just go to another site, and try again. They'll probably give you a different answer. This is a tried and true method by Argentines. I have literally seen people take a number at a place, ask a question, and not get the answer they want. They go back, take a number, and a different person gives them a different response. Try another Santander Rio office.

There is also a bank that is in the downtown area that is outside of the financial system in Argentina. In the US, we have FICA, which insures your account (like in the event of a collapse or bank robbery) up to $400,000. In Argentina, the private banks are also in this system, and supposedly your account is insured up to $40,000 (pesos). This bank downtown has upscale clientele, and they are outside of that entire system, and thus they have different rules. They do not have that 40,000 peso insurance, but they will give you much better service. They might not even request a DNI.

They have a solid reputation. I'm sure they would be happy to take foreigners on (or maybe not). My wife used to work at the Jockey Club, and all the rich people at the Jockey Club had accounts at this bank. You will have to go downtown to get anything done, however.

For example, although she had her DNI about three years ago, she didn't have a CUIL or a CDI until about six months ago.

I believe CUIL is generated automatically based on DNI number. It is 20+DNI+control digit. You can go to the Anses site and print out constancia de CUIL immediately.

I believe CUIL is generated automatically based on DNI number. It is 20+DNI+control digit. You can go to the Anses site and print out constancia de CUIL immediately.

No, the person has to go to the ANSES office and request it. I hired someone to work as a maid and she didn't have one so had to go to the office and present ID, etc in order to get her number so I could hire her.

Hi everyone,

I would like to share my story with those hoping to open an Argentinian bank account as a foreigner without the D.N.I.

I had some difficulites opening a bank account but my employers stepped in and opened up an account on my behalf. I had most of the following requirements as mentioned by alpawl:

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]For cuenta corriente:[/background]
  • Documento Nacional de Identidad (D.N.I.)
  • Constancia de CUIT/CUIL/CDI
  • Recibo de Haberes/ Recibo de Jubilación o Pensión (último 6 meses).
  • Factura de Servicios Reciente a Nombre del Solicitante.
  • Situación ante la A.F.I.P. y de corresponder Documentación Respaldatoria.
  • Manifestación de Bienes.
  • Seis Últimos Aportes Autónomos.
  • Verificación del Domicilio.
  • 2 (Dos) Referencias Bancarias.
  • 2 (Dos) Referencias Comerciales.
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]For Savings:[/background]
  • Documento Nacional de Identidad (D.N.I.)
  • Factura de servicios reciente a nombre del solicitante.
  • Constancia de CUIL / CUIT/CDI
perhaps lacking the most important one: D.N.I. This can be a tiring process to obtain, as many of you know. I have everything else: CUIL, work contract, utility bills and a "cuenta gratuita universal" was opened on my behalf. Two days ago I received an urgent message from the bank that my account would be closed if I did not present my D.N.I. within 3 days as the bank were being audited and must provide D.N.I for all clients. Unfortunately, I cannot provide this (not from lack of perseverance) and my account was closed today. Apparently the banks can open an account for a foreigner with a passport but a D.N.I must be submitted within three months (A requirement of the "ministerio del interior", or so I was told) I opened my account in early 2010, so I made it almost years without having to submit the D.N.I, however, the threat of closure loomed constantly. It is a huge disappointment and a nuisance as I will have to collect my wages by cheque now, and will lose out on a lot of the offers/discounts on petrol/hairdresser's/restaurants.

My advice for those wishing to open the account would be to have the following: passport, temp residency, CUIL&work contract, pay slips and utility bill in your name and CDI....

....but please bear in mind in order to keep the account open: D.N.I .......[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]sí o sí![/background]

Good luck to everyone battling with the red tape! :)

Back