Careful At Ezieza

They opened my bags a month ago and asked what a package of Rice-a-Roni was. I said "rice". The official accepted that though she had asked me TWICE if I had food. On another recent trip I tried to register a new Galaxy phone but they said that it was not the latest model so didn't require registration.

I had my bag inspected after landing at AEP on a TAM flight from SAO, seemed odd but I went full gringo, she eyed the MacBook (which I did end up selling, even though that wasn't the plan) I kept saying its mine, not for sale, EYS MEE-OH NO ES NEW-VO. It worked, I'd say honestly take your chances, even after the taxes/bribe (I seriously doubt any Argie public "servant" is going to do work when not needed) you'll still make profit from selling it or keeping what you import.

Is Miami a red flag simply because that's the main shopping destination for Argentines?

The only time I gained suspicion from the customs agent was when I brought 2 suitcases and put my luggage on the conveyor belt and was casually chatting with the girl behind me (not a full conversation, just a thank you or comment about something)... the girl was Argentine and the agent asked if we were traveling together. We said no.

She then asked me if I was Argentine, if I had residency, if I had family here, or if I was born here. No to all... I told her I was visiting my boyfriend. She flipped through my passport and then let me go. The girl behind me got searched. :p I think if I had been married or had residency at that time I would have probably been searched as well.

I don't even bother filling that customs form out, considering they never ask me for it. The guy working at the scanner wasn't even watching the screen as my luggage went through.

That doesn't mean that next time you won't get asked. You never know here.

Any suggestions on what to bring in besides phone, computer... I am returning to BA in 2 weeks and probably not going back to the States for a very long time (if ever!) Any very simple things that can't be had in Argentina aside from dollars?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gsi16386 Expat Life 25
P Expat Life 0
L Expat Life 12
H Expat Life 14
D Expat Life 13
Back