Carlos Menem's dead

The Wedding ceremony in Anillaco with Bolocco was a Suni muslim ritual .. ?

My deep admiration for a gifted man , born in a small village (Anillaco) in La Rioja, a remote province, within a lower middle class family of muslim immigrants. Graduating as an Attorney and twice Governor of La Rioja, later twice President and Senator. Doesn't mean one must agrees with all his policies.

For the most part recent Presidents come from Capital or the Major Provinces, except Kirchener's.

It wasn't to become President? When exactly did he convert? Was it a requirement to be a governor? Why do you put 'convert' in quotes - because it was likely an insincere move, just for political advancement?
I know for sure that at that time, to be able to be candidate for President one of the requirements was to be catholic. He converted out of ambition for his political carreer and only for that.

I know for sure that at that time, to be able to be candidate for President one of the requirements was to be catholic. He converted out of ambition for his political carreer and only for that.

He was the only one to convert ... his wife , daughter and son remained muslims...

He was the only one to convert ... his wife , daughter and son remained muslims...
As others pointed out, in my opinion a clearly opportunistic move to make a political career. Born as a Muslim, converted to Catholicism, and then back to be buried as a Muslim ...

However: in Argentina it seems it was never an issue whether he was Catholic or Muslim. In Europe or in the US unthinkable (remember when they were claiming that Obama was Muslim from Africa?). So even the fiercest critics rarely went down to this level to discredit him because of his religious convictions (at least, I am not aware of this).

Similarly, Trump converted while in the office to appease his Evangelical base, going from Presbetarian to non-denominational. It might seem like a small detail, but it was very significant politically. Mainstream Protestants and Catholics are miles away from Evangelicals on a lot of issues.

Back