Carne Para Todos

Smcali23

Registered
So here's one for any bargain hunters out there...

I heard about this cheap meat lark that Kristina was using to get a few votes and didn't pay it much mind.

BUT on Saturday I actually stumbled upon one of these places that sells meat at government prices and literally couldn't believe my eyes... Everything is 10-15 pesos per kilo. I ended up with 5 kilos of meat, chicken and pork for 56 pesos, even though my wife's a vegetarian (which basically makes me one!).

And the place - Well, it's a butcher's right inside Once Train station (I think it's that one). It's a big one that's more or less at Rivadavia y Pueyreddon. The place is heaving with people and it's a bit like a United Nations food drop, but for those of us who like paying under the odds, I thought I'd share my experience.

Very good information. Thank you for sharing. I'm definitely going to check it out when I come back down.

We go to a frigorifico in Mataderos about once every 3 mos and stock up. The one we go to is called Chalin, but there are various different ones. Be prepared to wait a good while, or make an order by phone. However if you go in person you do tend to get better cuts and/or they cut off greater amounts of fat and clean up the cuts for you.

Its inside the station itself? I may have to go check that out

Yep, it's actually in the station, right next to where the timetables are if my memory serves.

syngirl - I didn't realise you could order by phone! May have to check that out. I am definitely going to stock up now that I know where one is. An asado for 10 people at 500g per person is around 50-60 pesos. Crazy.

It is widely known by argentinians that those meat cuts are not tender. How was your experience?

Smcali23 said:
I heard about this cheap meat lark that Kristina was using to get a few votes and didn't pay it much mind.

Why does it seem that everytime a politician does a "good" thing, so many people say that it's only to get votes?

JoeBlow said:
Why does it seem that everytime a politician does a "good" thing, so many people say that it's only to get votes?

Because that's why they do it?

JoeBlow said:

Also, the kind of thing we're talking about isn't really a "good" thing at all, so much as it's an "immediately beneficial/band aid" thing. That, coupled with the timing, is why it's so obviously vote-motivated.

Back