Carrying large sums of cash - how to

Blah-blah, are you being difficult on purpose? Most people can't pay their rent with one withdrawal. That was my point. And if you can, congrats on finding a cheap apt. Even if you can take out 1.000 pesos or even with a 3.000 peso withdrawal, that wouldn't cover most people's rent here. Hence requiring multiple trips.

And thanks - I have Citibank, I've talked to Citibank and they don't know why or what the problem is here. Hopefully they will raise the limit back up to my daily withdrawal limit in the US which is 1.000 USD. But I'm not holding my breath.

I need 3 daily limits to pay my montly rent, but who cares?

If you are smart you go to Florida across pacifico type in English, credit card account, other amount and fill in 3900 peso. You should be able to get 39 100 peso bills. If you are scared take your boyfriend with you or call me

I don't know if it works for everyone - but I can take out 1500 pesos a day from Link machines using a Visa debit card. That pretty much works out as my maximum limit back in the UK.

You need to do it in three lots of 500, and choose VISA when prompted to choose a network.

Not very cost effective, but what is? Have 5 Visa TravelMoney cards. When making a dash for cash at the ATM, can make 5 maximum withdrawals with one visit. When the cards gets low, call my bank and they reload the cards and the cycle begins again. Maybe not for everyone but it is an option.

citygirl said:
Blah-Blah, I was sharing my experience. And I have never heard of anyone being able withdraw large sums in the bank here (not an an ATM) with an international bank account. My experience is that unless you have a local bank account, you can't use the bank (again, you can use ATMs, just not account services inside the bank). That includes premier banking accounts from the UK, US, etc. Per every major bank I've talked to, Argentine banks are NOT part of the parent company and they can't access your account there from here.
My experience too, dating back to mid-2002. There is a limit to the amount in all Argentino ATMs (Uruguay too) and no cash advance in the bank proper (including casas de cambio) as opposed to the practice in every other country I have visited. The limit varies somewhat with the card, e.g. VISA limit being a bit higher than Euro/Master.

In e.g. Chile the ATM limit is the card limit.

I have foreign currency bank accounts in several countries around the world, which I transfer money to when travelling - but much to my surprise not possible in Argentina and Uruguay.

I can get as far with one transaction as the ATM card takes me. I can get as far as my Credit card takes me with one transaction. Where you set the limit depends on you and your resources

The limit is only in place for my bank, not for any Argentine bank

BlahBlah said:
... The limit is only in place for my bank, not for any Argentine bank
Haven't encountered a single one of the 9 I have tested.

Which Arg. banks are without the low limits (370/600/800 AR$)?

BlahBlah said:
One in Capital I always use, I have no interest in trying out others
Which?

You cannot possibly be the only customer in that bank, so there is no reason why you shouldn't tell the rest of the gang which bank they should use.

Back