Carta De Ciudadania For The Spouse Of Native Arg Citizen

What exactly is the benefit of having ciudiania instead of 'just' residencia? My two kids have two passports/nationalities, but as far as I know, I will have to renounce EU-citizenship if I want the Argie one? Doesn't seem like a good trade?

No. I have the EU passport too (Polish).
There are just a few countries that doesn´t alloow dual citizenship.

For me, the main pro is the ability to live in other Mercosur countries (like Chile or Uruguay), and on a personal level because I want to feel I belong to somewhere. I don't think I will ever live in Italy again unless some major family event happens, so I like the idea of having a new "home". I have always felt welcome here, I identify with Argentinians more than with any other national, so it makes sense.

What I don't understand is why the Argentinians are making it a hard time to get their citizenship to foreign nationals (forcing them to use a lawyer/facilitator for a perfectly straightforward procedure they could do alone).

Nationalism, a sick one.

Just in case you hadn't seen my case study

There should be very little difference if you are a permanent resident thanks to a child born in Argentina or a Argentine spouse when you pursue citizenship. Ley 346 is equally permisive.

http://baexpats.org/topic/28102-ciudadania-citizenship/page__fromsearch__1

For me, the main pro is the ability to live in other Mercosur countries (like Chile or Uruguay), and on a personal level because I want to feel I belong to somewhere. I don't think I will ever live in Italy again unless some major family event happens, so I like the idea of having a new "home". I have always felt welcome here, I identify with Argentinians more than with any other national, so it makes sense.

What I don't understand is why the Argentinians are making it a hard time to get their citizenship to foreign nationals (forcing them to use a lawyer/facilitator for a perfectly straightforward procedure they could do alone).

I see all the benefits of having an Arg citizenship, but for now, for me, they don't outweigh the benefits of having an EU citizen ship (NL). @Serafina, will you lose your Italian citizenship when it is finally processed? Personally I feel both that I belowng nowhere in particular as well as everywhere...

Hmm, it seems that I would fall under an exemption:
Dutch subjects who naturalise in another country who are exempted from the loss of nationality rule, such as those married to a citizen or subject of that country.

So for me it would be worth it as I prefer to travel visa free where possible and live and have my family here, all of which have Arg passports.

I noticed in the law that all you need is a visit to a Juez Federal? They will do all the background checks? It seems that there are few if any Jueces Federales in the interior (the official legal Gov pages do not mention anytjing in NQN or Rio Negro)? Would this list be good?

I see all the benefits of having an Arg citizenship, but for now, for me, they don't outweigh the benefits of having an EU citizen ship (NL). @Serafina, will you lose your Italian citizenship when it is finally processed? Personally I feel both that I belowng nowhere in particular as well as everywhere...

No, of course not! there are 900.000 Argentinians who have Italian citizenship as well, so I don't see why an Italian couldn't acquire Argentinian citizenship.
There is an agreement about this between Italy and Argentina, but before this agreements Italians lost their citizenship when becoming Argentinians, but it is no longer like this (it's been 40 years now).

So for me it would be worth it as I prefer to travel visa free where possible and live and have my family here, all of which have Arg passports.

I noticed in the law that all you need is a visit to a Juez Federal? They will do all the background checks? It seems that there are few if any Jueces Federales in the interior (the official legal Gov pages do not mention anytjing in NQN or Rio Negro)? Would this list be good?

It is not completed. I think your judge is in Zapala.
This is the right one:
http://www.jus.gob.ar/media/296012/c_mara_federal_de_apelaciones_de_general_roca.pdf

Call and ask.

Hi Patagone

If your spouse is Argentine and you are Dutch, you are allowed to aquire your spouses citizenship. My wife was "Latent Dutch" a fact we didn't know until after she naturalized as Argentine. She was recently ruled a Dutch citizen. We applied at the BA consulate. So she's now all three. (US, AR, NL). Fortunately, they allow Latent Dutch to keep their previous citizenship. Presumably for this very reason. She did not know she could claim Dutch.

Now...this is where it gets weird. Shortly before I found this out about her case--I looked at my jure sanguinis option. Italian citizenship by descent. Well, weeks before I naturalized as Argentine--I learned I'm Italian since birth. I'm applying in two months for recognition. Now...per a Dutch attorney under these circumstances...she is still eligible for Italian citizenship by marriage through me. Not that we'll do it, but she could under current law Dutch law and not lose her NL citizenship. And our kids are (or are eligible for) all four (ok....still working on Argentine for my 8 year old daughter who was born in the US....we have to petition her Argentine since it's not granted automatically child of non-native Argentines). It's kind of a pain to travel with one US document for my 8 year old. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

So Dutch law is relatively strict, but there are still many exceptions to the rule.

Is there is anyone on the forum who was able to successfully and on his/her own (without the assistance of a lawyer) obtain Carta de Ciudadania having resided in the country less than 2 years?

Specifcally, I am looking for someone who achieved this based on the provisions of Ley 346 (Decreto Reglamentario Sobre Ciudadania y Naturalizacion) Art 3, insert (f): marriage to a native Argentine and having resided in the country for less than 2 years.

I was denied by a clerk who claimed no knowledge to the above mentioned provisions and exceptions to the law, but I will go back again, this time with the photocopy of the Decreto.

In a mean time, I would appreciate any tips from those who may have done this in the past. I am fluent in Spanish, so there is no language barrier.

Thanks!

I asked today morning, they were surprised. They said that, perhaps, you didn't express well in Spanish. I record it with my mobile but it is impolite to post it.

Back