Cassis instead of cranberry

BaltRochGirl

Registered
If you want a sauce similar to cranberry, try Cassis as a substitution, it's a berry from Patagonia I believe. I picked up a jar at Carrefour and just made an apple cranberry sauce using it instead of cranberries and it's got a similar sweet tart flavor and a rich deep purple color. Not exactly the same but close enough for me and my friends!

French jurist will no doubt comment..cassis is French for blackcurrant (kir royale anyone!) and is to cranberries what blackberries are to strawberries i they are berries,nada mas. Dried arandanos (cranberries) are available in both jumbo and dieticas...turkey + blackcurrants= national disaster.

But be careful with the "arandanos" as most of the time (ie. 99%) they are actually blueberries. Many times at bars they have "arandano" juice to go with your trago and it turns out to be blueberry juice. (blueberries common, cranberries rare).

Arandanos agris are cranberries and I have not seen them, dried, canned, or fresh here, they don't grow in Argentina so they are rare. Anyway my friends all loved this substitution for our typical cranberry sauce so I'll keep making it!

Arandanos are blueberries, (fam. Ericaceae) they belong to the same genus of cranberries and bilberries. Arandanos in Argentina are produced in San Luis Province

Here is a link:
http://www.berries.com.ar/

Many North American native species of blueberries are now also commercially grown in the Southern Hemisphere in Australia, New Zealand and South American countries.

Cassis , (ribes nigro) is black currant (fam. Grossulariaceae) the same family is shared by the grosellas blancas (ribes Alba) y rojas (ribes Rubrum) I do not know if you can find grosellero tree in North America. THe grosella is acid and this is the most likely cranberry but it is not, as cranberry is from the other family (Ericaceae)

Moras are blackberries (morus nigra fam. Moraceae) from Mulberry tree (Rubus Fruticosus)

You can find here all these berries!

Enjoy them!

Gisel

Gisel said:
Arandanos are blueberries, (fam. Ericaceae) they belong to the same genus of cranberries and bilberries. Arandanos in Argentina are produced in San Luis Province

Here is a link:
http://www.berries.com.ar/

Many North American native species of blueberries are now also commercially grown in the Southern Hemisphere in Australia, New Zealand and South American countries.

Cassis , (ribes nigro) is black currant (fam. Grossulariaceae) the same family is shared by the grosellas blancas (ribes Alba) y rojas (ribes Rubrum) I do not know if you can find grosellero tree in North America. THe grosella is acid and this is the most likely cranberry but it is not, as cranberry is from the other family (Ericaceae)

Moras are blackberries (morus nigra fam. Moraceae) from Mulberry tree (Rubus Fruticosus)

You can find here all these berries!

Enjoy them!

Gisel

Mulberries come from mulberry trees. Blackberries come from blackberry bushes.

You says "you can find here all these berries". Can you tell me where to find cranberries?

Back