Using Driver's License As Id Instead Of Passport?

jcarter

Registered
Hello, I recently moved to Buenos Aires and was wondering if anyone here uses their US issued Driver's License instead of carrying their passport around with them for identification and to use when purchasing items. I would hate to lose my passport.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin

A foreign DL is not an international ID. I would suggest you to bring with you a copy of the first page of your passport, not the actual passport.

Hello, I recently moved to Buenos Aires and was wondering if anyone here uses their US issued Driver's License instead of carrying their passport around with them for identification and to use when purchasing items. I would hate to lose my passport.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin
A driver's license here is not proof of identity for anything but driving. I suggest you carry your passport with you.

The US driver's license doesn't carry much weight in Argentina. I have had my passport stolen during an assault at gunpoint, so after that I made a colored copy of the front page (information most needed) and then had it laminated which I carried with me all the time. If any police or gendarmeria told me that I needed to carry the original, I always explained what happened. They said nothing after that.
Now I carry my DNI everywhere and that's the best ID for here. Even my Argentine driver's license isn't really ID for the country; they always ask for the DNI.

Yes carrying a photo copy of your passport details is the way to go. I don't ever recall anyone raising an objection to me using it as ID.

I've never had any problem using my Argentine driver's license as an ID here. Before I got that, I would agree - the home country driver's license is not really good for anything other than driving - until you get your DNI then you should really think about an Argentine license anyway.

until you get your DNI then you should really think about an Argentine license anyway.

Which can be very easy to get especially if you live outside the capital.

Despite never having driven before I got my full driving license just by knowing someone. Which explains why the roads are full of nutters.

rondastidolph:
Very good idea. In Costa Rica where there is a considerably large number of US and Canadian residents and tourists they advise us to have the info you mentioned
photocopied in miniature and laminated.The result is a card about the size of the Argentine DNI and widely accepted.

why do you need to carry a passport?
In ten years, the ONLY time anyone has ever asked for ID was occasionally when using a foreign credit card.
And they were all happy with a color photocopy of my main passport page.
I get mine laminated, and they last forever.
But frankly, I havent used a credit card much in the last few years, and, more and more, they dont even ask for ID when I do.

Back