Cat Vet Recommendation-Naturalpath Or Homeopath?

Montauk_Project

Registered
My male cat is 9 years old, castrated, and has just been diagnosed with a urinary tract infection. He also has stones. The vet gave him antibiotics and he seems to be getting better. However, I would like a rec for vet to take care of the long term treatment, as my neighborhood vet doesn´t "convince" me that he would be the best to take care of this situation. I am in San Telmo but willing to travel to the right vet, especially a naturalist or homeopath.
Before this, I have been giving him raw meat and chicken and would prefer to keep doing so, or cooked food, so ideally the vet would understand this and not just try to sell us bagged food. I undertand this is a chronic problem so I need to develop a plan.
Any advice anyone has would be welcome. . . he is suffering a lot, poor thing. He has never been sick before, is incredibly strong and healthy normally.

Clinica Veterinaria Santa Clara
Av. Independencia 1889
Tel 4382 2461

Dr. Jose Gonzalez

Lunes-Miercoles-Viernes 10 a 12:30
Miercoles 17-20 hs
Sabado 10-14 hs

Clinica y cirugia
Alopatia y homeopatia
Acupuntura
Analisis Clinicos

I have taken my female cat to him since July 2008 for annual shots. I saw him talking to animal owners and decided he was THE doctor to take care of my cat.

Thanks so much! will see if he is open tomorrow, or if I need to wait until Monday. And not too far!
Any other suggestions, please let me know.

Homeopathy is a pseudoscience and would do your cat no good. In humans it may cause the placebo effect but it is unlikely that a cat's expectations of a cure would improve much after a placebo so just take it to a proper qualified vet.

Homeopathy is a pseudoscience and would do your cat no good. In humans it may cause the placebo effect but it is unlikely that a cat's expectations of a cure would improve much after a placebo so just take it to a proper qualified vet.

Come on, that's just your opinion. Montauk is no fool, and she's entitled to reach her own conclusions.

We know from experience that conventional veterinary medicine has a very poor track record of treating urinary tract infections in elderly male cats who have been neutered, so there's no harm in trying alternative medicines.

Come on, that's just your opinion. Montauk is no fool, and she's entitled to reach her own conclusions.

We know from experience that conventional veterinary medicine has a very poor track record of treating urinary tract infections in elderly male cats who have been neutered, so there's no harm in trying alternative medicines.

There is when you are talking about homeopathy which is entirely a placebo. Naturopathy looks to be the same pseudoscience bullshit. Diet changes etc might help with some problems and finding a better vet could help but I'd stay well clear of any offering bullshit like homeopathy or naturopathy.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-there-a-placebo-effect-for-animals/

Regardless, whether or not placebo effects exist in human medicine, there is little evidence that they exist in animals. (1) In general, for a placebo response to occur, it would seen require that the patient being treated recognize that there is an intentional effort to treat. Animals would appear to lack the ability to comprehend such intentions (other than they may not like a particular intervention). As such, animals would not be able to participate in placebo-generating experiences. So, for example, one couldn’t rationally suggest to a dog that a particular therapy might help it get better, or that it was beneficial because it was “natural;” one presumably wouldn’t wax eloquent to a horse that a particular therapy might give it a window of hope for recovery. They just wouldn’t understand.

There is when you are talking about homeopathy which is entirely a placebo. Naturopathy looks to be the same pseudoscience bullshit. Diet changes etc might help with some problems and finding a better vet could help but I'd stay well clear of any offering bullshit like homeopathy or naturopathy.

http://www.scienceba...ct-for-animals/

Regardless, whether or not placebo effects exist in human medicine, there is little evidence that they exist in animals. (1) In general, for a placebo response to occur, it would seen require that the patient being treated recognize that there is an intentional effort to treat. Animals would appear to lack the ability to comprehend such intentions (other than they may not like a particular intervention). As such, animals would not be able to participate in placebo-generating experiences. So, for example, one couldn’t rationally suggest to a dog that a particular therapy might help it get better, or that it was beneficial because it was “natural;” one presumably wouldn’t wax eloquent to a horse that a particular therapy might give it a window of hope for recovery. They just wouldn’t understand.

From the very first sentence, what you have written is your opinion, and nothing more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

So my cat suffered from a blocked urethra a few months back. Apparently it can be confused with a uti as well. While in Argentina the vet likely mistook this for a uti some years back as well. These three things can be confused and stones related to the blocked urethra. After his problem was cleared the instructions I got were to give him a special urinary diet preferably in wet cat form. I know you don't want to give cat food though. But what's most important is that your cat drink lots of water. Try and get him to drink a soda cans worth a day. This you know is very tough to do but people do some tricks to up their cats water intake. If possible add some water to his food (another reason they recommend giving wet food) as he will get hydrated that way if he doesn't drink enough. I know your cat might not have the same issue as mine but I believe stones and a blocked urethra are closely linked as both are caused by crystals forming in the bladder. It's scary I know your pain! I hope he gets better soon!

Back