Catch-22 póliza de caucion

CTMetsFan

Registered
My husband and I have retired to BA from Connecticut/US. Our household possessions are on a ship arriving next week 17 April and our mover said the local mover would assist us with a necessary bond. We’ll all they have done is refer us to a couple of insurance agents, none of whom will underwrite the bond because we don’t have an employer and I guess the employer usually guarantees indemnity. I’ve called six different brokers and all say the same thing. Could it possibly be that no one who retires here brings their stuff? One broker actually told me that. So we can’t get our shipment through customs without this bond and because we are retired no one will sell us the bond. We have a house we are ready to buy so it should be obvious we are planning on staying and becoming either permanent residents or citizens. Any advice on how to get this insurance policy for the temporary importation of our personal effects would be most appreciated! Help!

I would get in touch with Andreani, When I shipped my stuff from NYC they took care of everything.
I didn't even have to deal with customs or anything.

My husband and I have retired to BA from Connecticut/US. Our household possessions are on a ship arriving next week 17 April and our mover said the local mover would assist us with a necessary bond. We’ll all they have done is refer us to a couple of insurance agents, none of whom will underwrite the bond because we don’t have an employer and I guess the employer usually guarantees indemnity. I’ve called six different brokers and all say the same thing. Could it possibly be that no one who retires here brings their stuff? One broker actually told me that. So we can’t get our shipment through customs without this bond and because we are retired no one will sell us the bond. We have a house we are ready to buy so it should be obvious we are planning on staying and becoming either permanent residents or citizens. Any advice on how to get this insurance policy for the temporary importation of our personal effects would be most appreciated! Help!
I wish I could help, but my experience dates from 2018. US citizen, who applied to the Argentine consulate for a visa as a pensionado. That was a process that took several months. I submitted proof of funds, pension income, local police statement in my Ohio jurisdiction attesting to no criminal background. So my passport had the laminated attachment of the Argentine visa. I had a DNI within 6 weeks after I got off the plane. The US shipping outfit had a partner in Buenos Aires that was supposed handle the ARG process. The ARG partner insisted I had to get a caution policy. Finally got the caution policy, which was US $400, with a deposit of another USD $540. This in the context of my naive view that the price quoted in Ohio for getting my stuff delivered in Bs. As. was for the whole deal. In reality, the money spent in Ohio was only that Ohio firm's charges, in Bs. As. I was on my own. Having obtained the caucion policia, I thought the torment was over, but the ARG partner shook me down for $1000. NO $1000, no delivery. I did get my stuff. I have not been able to get my deposit back from the outfit that issued the caution policy. 5 years later, with my permanent resident status 2 years ago. In retrospect, maybe I should have just flown in with 2 or 3 suitcases with a laptop, a few clothes, and personal photos. Do you have some trusted connections here that can lend guidance on all the processes that I found necessary? Like bank account, health insurance. If I did not have such help, I would have quit on ARG long ago.

I wish I could help, but my experience dates from 2018. US citizen, who applied to the Argentine consulate for a visa as a pensionado. That was a process that took several months. I submitted proof of funds, pension income, local police statement in my Ohio jurisdiction attesting to no criminal background. So my passport had the laminated attachment of the Argentine visa. I had a DNI within 6 weeks after I got off the plane. The US shipping outfit had a partner in Buenos Aires that was supposed handle the ARG process. The ARG partner insisted I had to get a caution policy. Finally got the caution policy, which was US $400, with a deposit of another USD $540. This in the context of my naive view that the price quoted in Ohio for getting my stuff delivered in Bs. As. was for the whole deal. In reality, the money spent in Ohio was only that Ohio firm's charges, in Bs. As. I was on my own. Having obtained the caucion policia, I thought the torment was over, but the ARG partner shook me down for $1000. NO $1000, no delivery. I did get my stuff. I have not been able to get my deposit back from the outfit that issued the caution policy. 5 years later, with my permanent resident status 2 years ago. In retrospect, maybe I should have just flown in with 2 or 3 suitcases with a laptop, a few clothes, and personal photos. Do you have some trusted connections here that can lend guidance on all the processes that I found necessary? Like bank account, health insurance. If I did not have such help, I would have quit on ARG long ago.
Thanks for the insight. We fortunately do have trusted connections here, and I just heard from one of them, our lawyer, who says he has a contact at an 8nsurance company that will issue us the caution policy. My husband had flown down here in January to get his residence precaria expedited after I had gotten all the necessary proofs apostilled through the US and CT secys of State. We are working on the bank accounts with another trusted friend, they are a valuable commodity here for sure. I hear you about traveling light, but it’s hard to leave a lifetime of stuff you’ve grown really attached to behind!

With your residence permit you can import, duty free, your personal effects. For a period of six months.

Back