Catholic and Public Schools in BsAs

BAwithkids

Registered
We're looking into schools for our six year old daughter (still, for those who've read my numerous posts!), and I'm wondering if we should consider Catholic schools. My daughter is being raised Jewish, but we're not particularly religious. We would have no problem with her going to a school where most of the kids were Catholic, and even where there is some religious instruction (we can talk about why we might have a different view at home). However, I wouldn't want her to be at a school where being Jewish would lead to her being treated negatively. And would Catholic schools consider enrolling someone who is Jewish?

Also, I spoke recently with an American who enrolled her kids in the local public school. They had a good experience, and it's making me rethink my assumption that we should only look at private schools - we don't need great academics, since we'll only be there for a year and most of the learning our kids do will likely be learning Spanish. Does anyone know of good public schools in Belgrano? We need one with a full day program...

Thanks!

It is most likely that the good public schools in Belgrano will not have space for your kid, and there is a variety styles among catholic schools.

I´ve heard that the "Granaderos de San Martin" school in Belgrano/Las Cañitas is pretty good -for a public school.

Colegios parroquiales (light-catholic and cheap) are a good option as well...I don´t think religion would be an issue, most parents send their kids there because it is the cheapest option next to public schools. In Belgrano I can think of San Cayetano (very close to that Conesa apartment you mentioned in previous posts) Santa Ana, San Roman, Misericordia...

Oh - and in response to your question, I don't think schools like the ones I mentioned above would have a problem with enrolling your girl.

Roxana said:
It is most likely that the good public schools in Belgrano will not have space for your kid, and there is a variety styles among catholic schools.

I'm guessing you're right about the space issue. Just in case, though, do you happen to know which schools have a good reputation for primaria?

nativexpat said:
I´ve heard that the "Granaderos de San Martin" school in Belgrano/Las Cañitas is pretty good -for a public school.

Colegios parroquiales (light-catholic and cheap) are a good option as well...I don´t think religion would be an issue, most parents send their kids there because it is the cheapest option next to public schools. In Belgrano I can think of San Cayetano (very close to that Conesa apartment you mentioned in previous posts) Santa Ana, San Roman, Misericordia...

Thanks on the San Martin school.

How would we identify "colegios parroquiales"? What do you know about these schools? We really want a place that's going to make my daughter feel welcomed and supported - we can supplement the academic program as needed at home. San Cayetano is very close to where we'll be - thanks!

I really appreciate the suggestions!

You can also send her to a Jewish school, there are several in the city. I know of very few Jewish kids going to a catholic school, whether they are light about religion or not ( I have seen a couple through the years though nevertheless ) I know some very good public schools, just not in Belgrano :p

nikad said:
You can also send her to a Jewish school, there are several in the city. I know of very few Jewish kids going to a catholic school, whether they are light about religion or not ( I have seen a couple through the years though nevertheless ) I know some very good public schools, just not in Belgrano :p

There's a Jewish school near where we'll be living - Instituto Bet El - and we emailed them but received no response. Jewish schools would have their own issues for us because, depending on how religious they are, my daughter might not be "counted" as Jewish since I'm not (but my husband is) - that whole matrilineal descent thing.

It is good to know that Jewish kids are uncommon in Catholic schools (no great surprise, but still good to know). We just really want to find a school where my daughter will be happy that's within easy walking distance of where we'll be living, and SO many of the schools are Catholic...

BAwithkids said:
There's a Jewish school near where we'll be living - Instituto Bet El - and we emailed them but received no response. Jewish schools would have their own issues for us because, depending on how religious they are, my daughter might not be "counted" as Jewish since I'm not (but my husband is) - that whole matrilineal descent thing.

It is good to know that Jewish kids are uncommon in Catholic schools (no great surprise, but still good to know). We just really want to find a school where my daughter will be happy that's within easy walking distance of where we'll be living, and SO many of the schools are Catholic...

I understand that mixed couples and their kids are not welcome by the most conservative/ orthodox. The fact that schools are catholic doesn´t mean that they will not welcome your kids, just like with Jewish schools, some will be more welcome than others. There are some good non religious private schools in Belgrano as well ( Escuela del Sol, Instituto Master, Belgrano Day School, etc ) At those you have all religions and most likely some foreign children too.

Back