Caught Up in the Meaningless Protest Last Night

Cohiba . You get the Top Award for Political Incorrectness... jajajajaja! Should you go into Politics..??

Cohiba, there is a certain director/producer in California who, with some of his idiot friends, made an anti-Islam movie that has now gotten the attention of half of the world's population and has already contributed to the deaths of a number of people and likely more to come. They are desperately looking for a good PR guy.

Just because you can say whatever is on your mind doesn't mean that you should. Smart people know that in order to have their views taken seriously they must offer those views in ways that don't offend most of the people that are hearing them.

GS_Dirtboy said:
Cohiba, there is a certain director/producer in California who, with some of his idiot friends, made an anti-Islam movie that has now gotten the attention of half of the world's population and has already contributed to the deaths of a number of people and likely more to come. They are desperately looking for a good PR guy.

Just because you can say whatever is on your mind doesn't mean that you should. Smart people know that in order to have their views taken seriously they must offer those views in ways that don't offend most of the people that are hearing them.

I'd actually say that the people whose attention was caught by that movie and the ones who murdered people are the ones who are idiots. Not the other way around.

As for the movie, since it was brought up, its not too far from what "Sirat Rasul-Allah" by Ibn Ishak paints Mohammed's life as (Also the two main Sunni Hadith collections, Bukhari and Muslim). That's the most authoritative biography of Mohammed in Sunni Islam, by the way. The people rioting at the moment and murdering people just look for an excuse, they found one in the movie.

Of course people ignore the facts when it comes to the Middle East. And once again we are pointing fingers in the wrong f**king direction!

As for the OP, dude you're an idiot. Get a life!

nicoenarg said:
I'd actually say that the people whose attention was caught by that movie and the ones who murdered people are the ones who are idiots. Not the other way around.

As for the movie, since it was brought up, its not too far from what "Sirat Rasul-Allah" by Ibn Ishak paints Mohammed's life as (Also the two main Sunni Hadith collections, Bukhari and Muslim). That's the most authoritative biography of Mohammed in Sunni Islam, by the way. The people rioting at the moment and murdering people just look for an excuse, they found one in the movie.

Of course people ignore the facts when it comes to the Middle East. And once again we are pointing fingers in the wrong f**king direction!

As for the OP, dude you're an idiot. Get a life!

maybe they're rioting over the terrible acting and blue screen effects?

Getting back to Argentina protests, I don't know why, but I have always admired the spirit of the Argentina people.

I've been coming to Argentina since 2004 and now live here full time and I remember when a teacher was killed in Neuquen by a policeman who (accidentally I hope) fired teargas and the cartridge hit him. They were in the streets in Neuquen AND in BA. My son was here then and as we watched the action I was thinking what would it take to stop it and I said to him, "If the police shot some of these people, how many do you think would be here?" His answer, "I don't know, how many people live in Buenos Aires?" Hahahaha That was so cool. Where I am from I doubt if you'd get the people away from the TV. (Sorry folks to say that! I'm even more sorry that it's true!)

Another time the president put a tax on farmers because commodity prices were high. That was sad because I had gotten word that my mother was dying and I was on a bus trying to get to the airport to leave, and the roads to BA were blocked. But even after that stressful experience, still I admired the farmers.

Maybe it's wierd and maybe no one agrees, but I admire them if they are willing to leave what they are doing and go say, "Enough is enough!"

Complaining does not mean that things are actually bad.
the farmers suffered in the 90s, now they are making TONS of money. They held everyone hostage to lower their taxes (btw, they do not pay any real land tax, it is like 30 pesos per hecter in Santa Fe, for land worth $100kUSD). As soon as the gov´t said that they would not or could not inplment their moving tax, a drought hit, and what did the famers demand? A MOVING TAX!!!!
I-eco in Clarin (the business section of a very anti-K newspaper) said that Argentina´s economy will grow in the next few months, and not enter into recession. And the whole world is in recession right now.
I found the banging on pots and pans to be insulting, as it normally represents not having food to put in said pot.
I would love for the oposition to be able to have electable canidates and a platform, it would be good for all of us, but for some reason this doesn´t seem to be able to happen.
When the upper class complains, remember that the vast majority of them have NEVER and NEVER WILL invest in production or in business, they live off of "rentas" or profits from their farms. Argentina does not have a business class, they have rich industrialists and poor industries.
If someone is called an "empresario" in the news, very rarely do they identify the business he owns or what he does, because he doesn´t, it is a polite way of saying "rich person" or "big time drug dealer/pimp/something illegal". I always joke with my husband that here "empresario" is a state of being, not actually being in business!
I have been here for ten years and seen positive changes, mainly with younger people, who don´t want to bribe or use networks, but want to get rewarded for hard work and good ideas (a lot of the Palermo Valley people and the start ups are working on creating a new business climate).
I am in contact with a lot of business owners--some support the gov´t, some don´t, some think it doesn´t go far enough--but none are freaking out over the current situation, they are busy making money.
My husband´s parents are very anti-K. But they admit that do to the very policies of this gov´t they hate, they are much better off than 7 years ago. They now have pensions they can live off of (they aren´t rich so no savings), get great medical care (free bypass surgery), and even help studying and starting a start-up solar panel business. But they curse the "bitch". . .
take the complaints with a grain of salt. Even now that people are complaining it is harder to travel overseas (I agree that the restrictions are awful). . . when I got here 10 years ago, NO ONE could afford to travel overseas.

They are basically protesting the latest initiative to have Cristina run for president for third time in 2015 -which is against ARG Constitution; the Gov's efforts to control massive cash exodous from Argentina and the corruption in which some of her people in power are suspected to be involved.

Iznogud said:
Currently we are trading freedom for additional abuse and fear, slippery slope.
We can''t see the benefits, present or future, of current measures and policies dictated for the common good. It only speaks to us of a darker future.

I thought you were talking about the USA for a second.

Back