Cell Phone Carrier.

chancellor

Registered
We live in Atlanta and vising Buenos Aires next week and staying until July 3rd. My wife and I have 2 iPhone 4s phones (and 2 iPads) and AT&T is our provider in US. Their international rates are very high. Unlocking the iPhone through AT&T's site has been more challenging than proving Fermat's theorem. I figured that it will be easier to buy a Samsung 4S or another phone from AT&T or Verizon or whomever that will sell it "unlocked" and then get a local Argentinian SIM card. I would be very grateful if someone would be kind enough to help with any information. Thank you.

Buy el cheapo dumb phone here for $50 and forget the smart ones at home. Less trouble.

It is officially illegal to unlock your phone without your carrier's consent since a few weeks ago thanks to an obscure regulation that is in the power of the Libranian of Congress . You could be fined up to $500,000 or imprisoned up to 5 years, even if your phone is not under contract anymore.

lznogud, thanks for the advice. Risking to sound dumber than expected of a newbie on the forum, but where would I buy el cheapo dumb phone as we land? Are they readily available? We can bring our smart phones for the wi-fi in the apartment.

Ceviche, breaking the law wasn't on my list of top priorities :) There are unlocked phones (at least, here in US) that you can switch the SIM card and voila.

My advise was for those who are uninitiated with the latest law.

Cheapo phones using pay as you go cards are quite easily available once you get to town.
The issue of bringing your iPhones or iPads to use at home depends mainly if you will rent a place or if you're staying where they can be "lifted" too easily. Many a tourist was determined to do this only to take the iPhone by accident just once only to find it "liberated" by a gaucho friendly with everybody's else belongings.

Bring some, don't bring all.

Plan B. Bring an unlocked iPhone and sell it on the cheap side before you go back. Next gen iPhone is around the corner, maybe you can fund the new with the old. I hear that skipping one release is the smart thing to do.

lznogud and ceviche, thank you both. We will be staying in an appartment right across the botanical garden - I hear that it's a good area, but don't have any experience or knowledge. Will post next week, once there.

Just to close the loop. With remarkable helpfulness of the AT&T rep, both of our iPhones were unlocked the day of the flight. After landing, went to PERSONAL store with the building manager. The employee, using scissors, cut two SIM cards into smaller sizes, to fit the iPhones. After about a day and one more visit to the store, both iPhones work like a charm.

PS I'm really surprised about the number of Wi-Fi places all around. Virtually every cafe and restaurant has it, which makes that much more easier to use the phone (Viber, Tango, emails).

It is officially illegal to unlock your phone without your carrier's consent since a few weeks ago thanks to an obscure regulation that is in the power of the Libranian of Congress . You could be fined up to $500,000 or imprisoned up to 5 years, even if your phone is not under contract anymore.

As I am no expert , and do not claim absolute knowledge on this topic , But it is my understanding that very recently , the laws in the US have changed as to allow the unlocking of phones after , I believe 30 days under contract to a US carrier. If this has since changed , and Ceviche is correct , I absolve the above information. Irregardless , check with your carrier. I unblocked 2 iphones before coming in April , and they both work as well as can be expected with the terrible service cell phone carriers here provide.

Back