Centralization Of License Plates In Argentina

yd_mtl

Registered
Why did Argentine license plates become centralized in 1972 (after having been issued by municipalities and/or provinces since the early 1900s)? And why has there been no letter indicating one province or another since 1995 the way it had been since 1972?

I know that in countries like the US, Canada, Australia, and even Brazil, which are all federations, each state/province issues license plates. For example, in the US, Florida or California or Pennsylvania have very different license plates than Ohio or Massachusetts or Kansas. Or in Canada, those from British Columbia are very different from those from Ontario; or in Australia, those from South Australia are different enough than those from Tasmania. It's interesting that Argentina is also a federation, but the license plate system there has been centralized since 1972. I think that Argentina in 1972 considered the previous system too decentralized (with the municipalities as well as the provinces); right? Is it a matter of Argentina being much more centralized overall as a federation (to the point of being just short of unitary) than those other countries mentioned?

Argentina is ENTIRELY TOO CENTRALIZED!

It's was led to the multiple military conflicts through most of the 1800s and it could eventually lead to that again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_Civil_Wars

It's amazing how many of the various separatist and unionists have their own streets, plazas, statues, and partidas named after them every though they were killing each other and some fought against keeping Argentina a united country.

Anyway, I personally think that there's too much centralized power and I also think that the Province of Buenos Aires is too big and has too many people for one province. No one has asked me, but I feel it should probably be spit into three province with Gran Buenos Aires being sliced 3 ways as well. But that will never happen, so don't worry about whether or not it's a good idea or complete lunacy.

Argentina is ENTIRELY TOO CENTRALIZED!

It's was led to the multiple military conflicts through most of the 1800s and it could eventually lead to that again.

http://en.wikipedia....tine_Civil_Wars

It's amazing how many of the various separatist and unionists have their own streets, plazas, statues, and partidas named after them every though they were killing each other and some fought against keeping Argentina a united country.

Anyway, I personally think that there's too much centralized power and I also think that the Province of Buenos Aires is too big and has too many people for one province. No one has asked me, but I feel it should probably be spit into three province with Gran Buenos Aires being sliced 3 ways as well. But that will never happen, so don't worry about whether or not it's a good idea or complete lunacy.

I guess, then, that even though the 1995 move was, according to Wikipedia, "advertised as a federalist move from the government", the national government had unitary tendencies in mind despite the federal veneer?

Back