Change in expat attitudes?

Holden said:
This is exactly the reason for the change in attitude... people used to come here because it was super cheap and they would always claim the reason they were here was for something different-- like tango, or french architecture or some crap. But you knew the truth was just because they liked that almost everything was free if you were earning foreign income.

this is so true. i keep asking myself why i'm putting up with things if i''m basically living the same lifestyle i was back home.

dennisr said:
Common courtesy is the exception, not the rule. Maybe it is me that has the problem? Either way, do not enjoy Buenos Aires as I once did.

I feel you on the common courtesy issue. I tell my wife that the only time that I see men allowing women to go anywhere first is on the elevator and it is just so they can check out their asses.

Celia said:
it's hard to stay when there are so many violent robberies. On the expat site alone we have heard of at least 5 armed robberies that have happened in a few months.....it's a percentage that's too high to ignore.

I feel like this thread has little context... violent crime compared to where?? I moved from Miami, and I feel much safer in Buenos Aires, not to mention it's much easier to get around without a car and many less people carry guns here. Inflation is up and it's not as cheap as it once was here, but it certainly isn't any easier for my friends back home (who can't find jobs and are moving around looking for work). Which cities are you all relocating or planning to relocate to??

melaboots said:
I feel like this thread has little context... violent crime compared to where?? I moved from Miami, and I feel much safer in Buenos Aires

I really don´t know any expats and I know that there has been an increase in the number stories of crimes happening to my friends and family of friends in the last year. And I am hearing more and more of these stories involving guns. My point being that it is not safe for the people that live here and are aware of the security problems how can it be safer for the people that are not used to living here?

melaboots said:
I feel like this thread has little context... violent crime compared to where?? I moved from Miami, and I feel much safer in Buenos Aires, not to mention it's much easier to get around without a car and many less people carry guns here. Inflation is up and it's not as cheap as it once was here, but it certainly isn't any easier for my friends back home (who can't find jobs and are moving around looking for work). Which cities are you all relocating or planning to relocate to??

The world is upheaval and nowhere you go that is a big city will be easy . I do believe that the complaints are manily monetary based and many cannot hack the prices nor the amount of people here at the moment.

Yes Buenos Aires is hectic and can be damn frustrating at times but hell there is so much to like about this city that to dwell on the negative is a exercise in futility.

There are more tourists than ever before in the streets for the simple reason that Buenos Aires is a unique gorgeous city!

melaboots said:
I feel like this thread has little context... violent crime compared to where??...Which cities are you all relocating or planning to relocate to??

After six months in Palermo (Blvd Charcas), three years in Recoleta (Arenales 2000), and one year in Nunez I moved near here: Beautiful Bahia Blanca

Actually, I'm living in a quinta (country house) 15 KM from Bahia Blanca. There is almost no crime here and the people are very, very friendly.

I still haven't smelled any bat poop and the windy days are really quite refreshing (see thread). I love the vast blue sky and the vistas from the casa.

I shudder when I remember the life in Capital Federal (and it wasn't bad).

perry said:
I work in property as many know here but I am planning my escape hatch at the moment to a very small town in Patagonia away from Buenos Aires and the worlds problems.

Keeping fiat currencies now is playing with fire . Use the monies NOW buy land , buy gold silver and one years supply of food . Prices for food will double in 2011 and inflation of 30 % will seem like the good old days.

There are two 25 x 50 meter (side by side) corner building lots (bordered by trees) for sale near my house (2 KM from the Atlantic coast and 8 KM from a economically stable (naval base) town (Punta Alta: pop. 75,000). The land here is ideal for growing food, raising chickens, and hunkering down while the rest of the world deals with the chaos. The soil here is fantastic and so is the weather (two cold winter months but no snow). I've planted orange, apple, peach, pear, and lemon trees since my arrival.

A lot in the "village" which is four blocks from my location recently sold for $20 USD per mtr2. The lots near me are presently $16 USD per mtr2. The man who built my house thinks it's still possible to build with cement and bricks for about $600 pesos per meter. His estimate was based on the cost of materials six months ago. There is a contractor in Bahia Blanca who offers several models of "pre-fab" wood frame houses for about 35% less than those made of cement and bricks.

melaboots said:
I feel like this thread has little context... violent crime compared to where?? I moved from Miami, and I feel much safer in Buenos Aires, not to mention it's much easier to get around without a car and many less people carry guns here.

I feel the same. When I lived in Barcelona I had a lot more experiences there with crime than I've had here. I caught people with their hands literally inside my purse twice, had someone attempt to steal my suitcase filled with all of my belongings in a train station, had a friend slammed into a wall and robbed right in front of my apartment door, had a friend get literally chased through a metro station...all in all, I have had issues here but far less than in Spain. These kind of things happen everywhere, they just feel like a shock since it's so different than "home"...at least it is a lot different than my 14k population small town home.

With the ineffective and pathetic government that is in place and which, unfortunately, is unlikely to be kicked out - as long as the little action it takes is populist - it is a wonder that the country hasn't imploded already. Sad really, this is a country that could and should be so much more.

Back