Change in expat attitudes?

marksoc said:
So you were there in the meeting when they decided to make people poor so they would vote K in 10 years. Was next to the room were Bush planned 9/11? Or in the building were Saddam had tons of WMDs? Next time take a digital recorder with you and put the thing in the Internet.

I've been in Argentina for 15 years and I've got a pretty deep understanding of how things work. Is there a conspiracy? I was not speaking LITERALLY in terms of conspiracy. Let me say it this way: education is not something valued by most legislators in Argentina. Many have little education themselves and a good number of those who claim to have degrees probably don't. When you don't value something you don't work to achieve it. If education were valued, things would be different. Is it easier to manage people when they are ignorant? That would seem obvious. Is this lost on legislators? I don't think so. DId they have a meeting to plan a conspiracy to keep the people ignorant? Why would it have been necessary? Neglect is all that is needed. End result: people are less questioning. It's not rocket science.

fifs2 said:
... Lack of continuity. That makes the country so unpredictable.

Have to agree with Amargo here..Ive trained project managers in 7 countries and what is common across all is that they all start out with good intentions but without the proper sense of responsibility, empowerment, commitment, flexibility to change, risk mgmt, problem solving, customer servicing etc ...
Based on almost 21 years experience in Latin America, I have observed the same everywhere.

I have a feeling, that while universities worldwide have courses in organization, in Latin America they have courses in disorganization.

It can be observed in all parts of society.

A couple of recent examples (among thousands):

When I order coffee in a café, I (expect to) get
1. Coffee
2. A glass of water
3. A sweetener, sugar or artificial

I never know in advance what will be missing, or - which happens every now and then - I'll get all 3.
- - -
Yesterday we were eight persons having lunch in a Peruvian restaurant.

First the waiter brought forks and knives for four of us.
Next food for three of us.
Next forks and knives for two.
Next food for two more.
Next fork and knife for one.
Next food for two more.
Next the last plate of food.
At last the remaining fork and knife.

This would score maximum points in a course in disorganization.

i'm still happy here, been here 8 months and planning to still til the start of next winter. I dont ask much of buenos aires and it doesnt ask much from me. I work online, earn money in dollars, live simple, enjoy my apartment, have a network of friends, play baseball/basketball, love the sunshine (and the 60 degree days in the middle of winter) and yes there is inflation but overall I still live here pretty cheap. Never have been robbed (knock on wood), no bad incidents etc. People have overall been pretty nice to me, and i've really enjoyed my time here. Hope it continues :)

The grass is ALWAYS greener, but it is inside you make the milk for the calves.. where ever you are, there you be..

sergio said:
This, to me, is a key problem. It's hard to understand how the natives of such a failed country can be so smug and arrogant.

I've been wondering if it's their French heritage doing that.

Back