Changing Dollars

steveinba

Registered
Can anyone recommend a good place to change dollars for pesos is small amounts ($500 or less at a time)? I don't have any local bank accounts and want to be able to change a few hundred dollars once a week or so at a good rate.

Thanks!

Neil

Registered
Most any bank will do this for you, w/ proper id ie. passport There are tons of cambios downtown on Av San Martin that will change for you , again w/ proper id.

steveinba

Registered
Thanks Neil. I guess I'm more looking for specific recommendations of places that charge the lowest fees/ give the best rates.

hyperborean

Registered
there's one on scalabrini ortiz after guemes as you're walking away from santa fe...no commission and they always seem to give me the same rate i see on xe.com

ReemsterCARP

Registered
steveinba said:
ReemsterCARP, any specific bank/cambio that is the best deal? Thanks.
Wouldn't be able to tell you that as the rates change daily and I never visited any casa de cambio more than once :). Oh, and I moved to Caracas :p

Ries

Registered
I am curious as to why any cambio would offer lower rates than the posted daily exchange rate?
That is, what could possibly be in it for a bank, or a private money changer, to offer "good rates" that were any different from what everybody else is offering?

Do they lose money on every transaction, but make it up in volume?:D

Liam3494

Registered
I would recommend either the Banco de Nacion or Banco Cuidad de Buenos Aires as the best banks to get a good rate of exchange, certainly with regard to Euro's, and I know that dollars are well received too...