Changing Dollars

Good resource that an Argentinian friend showed me: http://www.dolarsi.com/default.htm?org=cotizaciones#Capital_Federal

It has real-time euro and dollar rate listings for banks in Capital and in other major Argentinian cities. Click the bank name to get the address and opening hours, and click the value to calculate the amount of money you'll get with that rate.

When changing small amounts of money though I usually go to the 'under-the-counter' cambios, as I never remember my passport when I need to get pesos.

Hope that helps
R

arty said:
he would also avoid going on fri/sat as they give worse conversations those days.

The word is "conversions", "rate of conversion"/"conversion rates", or "rate of exchange"/"exchange rates".

But I do like "they give [the] worse conversations those days." It changes the meaning, but I like it.

I always use EuroAmerican right across Santa Fe from the Alto Palermo mall. They seem to always have the best rate and I have never had to show ID.

EuroAmerican Cambio
Anasagasti 2078
4825-1999

lunes a viernes de 9:30 a 17:00
sabado de 10 a 15

Napoleon said:
The word is "conversions", "rate of conversion"/"conversion rates", or "rate of exchange"/"exchange rates".

But I do like "they give [the] worse conversations those days." It changes the meaning, but I like it.

that's what happens when I post before I have my morning coffee. lol

Napoleon said:

You can add the proper "cotización"

Napoleon said:
me too, love unintended jokes :D

I've only once entered a Casa de Cambio here, when I was carrying a pocket full of pesos uruguayos that the local commercial banks didn't want to change. I found a long line in a smelly, ugly room where they wanted to charge me a commission for the transaction.

When I need to change dollars or Euros, I go to any commercial bank carrying just my passport. Most banks prominently post their exchange rates, and since banks tend to cluster here, you can easily compare rates in a few different banks. I've never encountered any commission charges at commercial banks in Buenos Aires.

The site I find that most merchants using when I'm haggling for better prices by paying in USD is http://www.dolarhoy.com. The site shows up-to-date rates from 20 or so banks and exchange houses, along with averages and best quotes, both for Buying and Selling pesos. Typically the spread between the best and worse quotes is 2 - 2.5 centavos per dollar (or 2.5 pesos per USD 100).

That said, I've never encountered rates at my bank, Citibank, more than half a centavo worse than the dolarhoy average. Usually they're in line with the dolarhoy best rate (at least for "compras" of pesos).

Is there some advantage to Casas de Cambio that I'm missing?

jimdepalermo said:
... Is there some advantage to Casas de Cambio that I'm missing?
The one I used (very clean and modern office) before changing to Banco de Cuyo was open until 20:30, whereas the banks usually close at dawn (13:00).

John.St said:
The one I used (very clean and modern office) before changing to Banco de Cuyo was open until 20:30, whereas the banks usually close at dawn (13:00).

Let's be accurate here for the record - banks close at 1500, and they're open Monday to Friday when there's no holiday and no bank employee strike and no . . . . :)

But you forgot to note that banks don't open until 10. And there's a good chance that they will be closed for lunch. :D

Back