Che, Negra...

Farenheit

Registered
I have a friend who says this to me from time to time in conversation at the start of a new topic. I know what he means, "hey, mate" something like that. I am just puzzled by the negra bit as I am fair- haired and pale.

Its like white kids affectionately telling each other "hey nigger". It's a disagreeable term of endearment.

My Brasilian wife calls me Negrito all the time. I'm far from black. It really is a term of endearment.

However, at the same time, many people here call dark-skinned people negro/negra as a term of description. I don't find that endearing.

My Brasilian wife calls me Negrito all the time. I'm far from black. It really is a term of endearment.

However, at the same time, many people here call dark-skinned people negro/negra as a term of description. I don't find that endearing.

Perhaps pardo/a is more acceptable (in Brazilian terminology, but rather less common in Argentina).

Perhaps pardo/a is more acceptable (in Brazilian terminology, but rather less common in Argentina).

This is really old and I have not seen it in use in a while. Basically this was a terminology used back in the day when people were still embarrassed of being black, so they would use "pardo". Today negro/a is the correct way to refer to people who are black.

LOGO+CONCIENCIA+NEGRA.jpg

here they call negra or negrita to a person who has black hair or eyes, even if they have white skin...

Don´t go to the province, everyone is "papá" or "mamita" there.
I was doing an interview for a documentary there, and the person being interviewed (who is a father) described a conversation between himself, his son and a nurse in which everyone was refered to as "papá"--his son refers to him as papá (logical) the nurse refers to him as papá (ok) and he refers to his 8 year old son as papá (ugh). Very confusing.

Back