Che, Negra...

There were similar threads before about this subject but I recall that when I arrived here (I'm of the skinny type), I was kind of pissed off when people would call me "flaco" (like if they were insulting me). Took me time to get used to the local idiosyncrasy.

It's actually a good thing about Argentina (no political correctness) but this aspect won't survive much I'm afraid.

- Hey papa, did you see where papa went?
- Yes, he went with papa to the store. Tomorrow is papa's birthday.
- Nice. Is papa also invited?
- Yes, he told me he was going to come with papa and papa.
- Thanks papa.
- No problem papa.

I don't see how you can be confused by that :lol:

did they eat pure de papa with papa and papa?

I do not understand why it is considered correct to single out somebody calling him African America for example and not black. Both terms are used with the same purpose ie: single somebody out by his external, racial or cultural features. I find both terms discriminatory. Now the question is more profound: is it bad to discriminate, to be able to tell the difference between an Asian and an African? In essence I believe we are all the same, but at the same time we are all different. Such a paradox. In all honesty what I don´t tolerate and accept are derogatory terms, and those, can come in all shapes and flavors, even " politically correct " ones.

Argentines use terms like turco literally indiscriminately, often applying them to everyone from a certain region. Once, in La Pampa, I heard protestors screaming that Menem was a turco de mierda, though he comes from a Syrian background.

Dont take it too personal. My ex girlfriend used to call me gordi or gordo all the time. I never quite understood how that was affectionate but on the bright side, it kept me in the gym just a little bit longer every time.

Frenchie (or French Jurist), I hope it does survive, I really do.
Woe betide the day when Argentines are coerced into PC. It's all part of their charm, the way they speak now.
I even recall people objecting to being called short and some suggesting that 'vertically challenged' would be more appropriate.
Which leads me on to Randy Newman singing 'Short People', which caused such a stink when it was released.

Back