Che, Negra...

But what would be the PC way to describe a black person in Spanish?
I was talking in Spanish to a Swedish friend the other day about an American friend who had just left and was trying to remind him he had met that person, so I described him as "...negro, negrito" to which I was aware an Argentine friend listening crinkled her face.

Afro-Americano? Or is Negro fine?

"Afro Americano" is the spanish version of the ridiculous "racial" political correctness so prevalent in the USA. One of argentina's good things was that political correctness didn't exist. If there was a certain degree of familiarity or courtesy you could call an asian "japonés" or "chino", a middle easterner "turco", a dark-skinned person "negro" or "morocho", and a fat one "gordo" without that person whining about your "insensitivity". Unfortunately those days seem to be disappearing. I truly hope that argentina doesn't turn into another "something dash argentine" circus. Just use your best judgement and "feel" the person to see how they prefer to be called.

There's 3 meanings of 'negro' depending on context.

Negro is used to describe black people, same as saying 'black' in the States. Sometimes Africano is used, but mostly I've heard negro and nobody really bats an eye.

Then there's the affectionate term, which means nothing.

And finally the insult, which basically means low class and has little to do with hair, eye, or skin color. It may have a historical origin in reference to dark skinned people, but these days it's used mostly to reference 'riff raff.' It's highly insulting, but not necessarily at an ethnic level. It's similar to saying white trash except that it is inclusive of all colors.

Much like yegua.
I was at a party with Adri and was chatting with someone who had yet to meet her. he nodded in her direction with 'Quien es la yegua alli?'
Unfortunately that word has evolved negatively as most anti K's refer to you know who as the yegua, plus variations on that theme.

"Afro Americano" is the spanish version of the ridiculous "racial" political correctness so prevalent in the USA. One of argentina's good things was that political correctness didn't exist. If there was a certain degree of familiarity or courtesy you could call an asian "japonés" or "chino", a middle easterner "turco", a dark-skinned person "negro" or "morocho", and a fat one "gordo" without that person whining about your "insensitivity". Unfortunately those days seem to be disappearing. I truly hope that argentina doesn't turn into another "something dash argentine" circus. Just use your best judgement and "feel" the person to see how they prefer to be called.

You never hear "Afro-American" in the US any more, rather you hear "African-American," which suggests much closer links but is still a very generic term. For my part, I'm "Swedish-American," with Scandinavian grandparents who emigrated to Minnesota, but most black people in the United States have had their origins erased by the taint of slavery. I would say "Afro-American" is a more accurate but nevertheless vague term, such as Latino, which can include everything from Cuban or Puerto Rican to Argentine and Chilean, but also many native-born US citizens whose families have inhabited the territory since long before the US existed. There is an excellent book, by the way, on "The Afro-Argentines of Buenos Aires of Buenos Aires: (http://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/0728.htm).

Well, perhaps the bloke at the party meant it crudely from his point of view.

Back