Che, Negra...

Veteran: Call it what you like but to me there's no such thing as a "something-american". If you were born in the USA you're an American, period. I hated it when people back home would try to hyphen my background based on my dad's nationality (argentine)...they couldn't grasp the concept of me just being an "american". I feel that some racial groups, especially the "opressed" ones try to differentiate themselves by adding ancestral nationalities or origins from which they are so far removed it's hilarious. But, to each his own I guess.

As much as I like shooting messengers and all, I wasn't talking about Citygirl, I was talking about 'the bloke'.

Veteran: Call it what you like but to me there's no such thing as a "something-american". If you were born in the USA you're an American, period. I hated it when people back home would try to hyphen my background based on my dad's nationality (argentine)...they couldn't grasp the concept of me just being an "american". I feel that some racial groups, especially the "opressed" ones try to differentiate themselves by adding ancestral nationalities or origins from which they are so far removed it's hilarious. But, to each his own I guess.

That's very myopic in my opinion. There are Italian-Americans and Mexican-Americans, just as there are Italo-Argentines and Anglo-Argentines, among others. My grandparents included three Swedes and a Norwegian and, though I speak barely a word of either language, I recognize those cultural traits in the population of the Upper Midwest (though not quite so extreme as shown in Fargo). Acknowledging your origins is not offensive, except to xenophobes.

Oops!
You know, I haven't been able to get tuned in at all today.
I think I need to lie down in a darkened room and have Adri whisper 'Papito' to me very softly.

Veteran: I don't have a problem acknowledging my origins (dad argentine, mom, spanish, grandmother austrian, lots of italian/spanish blood etc), I just don't feel they merit a "hyphenated" nationality. Xenophobe? not at all, just tired of people not accepting the fact that I don't bow to political correctness, trying to force me to embrace the "something dash american" and being so narrow-minded that they're unable to accept that being a simple "American" is good enough for me. If I understood you correctly you think I'm myopic and xenophobic...pretty harsh words. I'll try to be "politically correct": to me, you're steeped in political correctness and feel it's important to acknowledge cultural and national backgrounds which serve no purpose whatsoever except to accentuate multicultural differences which lead us farther away from the "melting pot" and closer to the "tossed salad" society. But, it's all good.

Don´t go to the province, everyone is "papá" or "mamita" there.
I was doing an interview for a documentary there, and the person being interviewed (who is a father) described a conversation between himself, his son and a nurse in which everyone was refered to as "papá"--his son refers to him as papá (logical) the nurse refers to him as papá (ok) and he refers to his 8 year old son as papá (ugh). Very confusing.

- Hey papa, did you see where papa went?
- Yes, he went with papa to the store. Tomorrow is papa's birthday.
- Nice. Is papa also invited?
- Yes, he told me he was going to come with papa and papa.
- Thanks papa.
- No problem papa.

I don't see how you can be confused by that :lol:

Back