Cheap Meal Ideas

Just a few things cheap food things i've found over my time in BA

Chicken Wings from your local butchers/pollo man. Just got $15 pesos/kilo the other day (apparently there are $19 pesos/kilo whole chickens about but i've never seen them. Made some great wings in the oven with my own flour/spice mix. Even got some Drumsticks mixted in for free!

Humus, get some cans of garbanzos for 5-6 pesos a can and blend them with some cumin, garlic and chillies. Probably cheaper to get dried ones but the cans are easier to use when needed.
Chuck it on top of some baked tatties and your laughing.

Mince, again whilst i've never seen the $27,30 precios cuidados pesos/kilo mince anywhere, your local butchers will have some decently priced stuff usually. along with some cheap tins of tomato/beans you can usually make a decent chilli con carne.

Merluza/Hake, poach it in milk then throw some boiled egg/peas/whatever in with it then throw some mash on top with cheese and you've got a great fish pie!

Anyone seen some bargains about the place? Got some good cheap food ideas/recipes?

Will look for $6 peso garbanzo beans
Minced meat here $68 /kg.

Pizza. For two basic cheese pizza's costs about $18ARS to feed my family. If I go all out and do something like Bar-B-Que chicken it goes to about $35ARS.

Soups. Find an basic chicken stock base recipe and then add whatever might happen to be hanging out in your refrigerator looking lonely (including eggs).

Dried lentils. Super inexpensive. I cook & throw in rice (also cheap) and then whatever meat I have, some potatoes, peas, tomato sauce, etc. Yummy, filling and you can make in large quantity and freeze.

Chicken wings are great although I don't have the easiest time finding them.

Mince, again whilst i've never seen the $27,30 precios cuidados pesos/kilo mince anywhere, your local butchers will have some decently priced stuff usually. along with some cheap tins of tomato/beans you can usually make a decent chilli

The other day in Walmart I saw what I thought was ground pork, but when I picked up the package I realized it was the precio cuidado ground beef, it just looked like pork because of the absurdly high ratio of fat to actual meat.

Minestrone, the old time Classic , 1/2 cube of chicken broth, 1/2 tray of chopped veggies, some tomato pure, garlic,cilantro, 1/2 glass of white wine. May add some rice.

The other day in Walmart I saw what I thought was ground pork, but when I picked up the package I realized it was the precio cuidado ground beef, it just looked like pork because of the absurdly high ratio of fat to actual meat.

The other day I actually saw ground fat next to all the meat, they didn't have any actual meat mince in stock. It was labelled as ground fat.

When I wanting to prepare cheap and fast meal. Spaghetti with meat sauce. A jar of " Ragu " already made sauce, get ground beef then add the usual veggies and spices. Simple and boring dinner for one! Oh, and not to forget, a bottle of KSANA reserva via mendoza's Malvec ....

Back