Cheap Meal Ideas

scotttswan

Registered
Just a few things cheap food things i've found over my time in BA

Chicken Wings from your local butchers/pollo man. Just got $15 pesos/kilo the other day (apparently there are $19 pesos/kilo whole chickens about but i've never seen them. Made some great wings in the oven with my own flour/spice mix. Even got some Drumsticks mixted in for free!

Humus, get some cans of garbanzos for 5-6 pesos a can and blend them with some cumin, garlic and chillies. Probably cheaper to get dried ones but the cans are easier to use when needed.
Chuck it on top of some baked tatties and your laughing.

Mince, again whilst i've never seen the $27,30 precios cuidados pesos/kilo mince anywhere, your local butchers will have some decently priced stuff usually. along with some cheap tins of tomato/beans you can usually make a decent chilli con carne.

Merluza/Hake, poach it in milk then throw some boiled egg/peas/whatever in with it then throw some mash on top with cheese and you've got a great fish pie!

Anyone seen some bargains about the place? Got some good cheap food ideas/recipes?

Cool thread, ejcot. Just out of curiosity, are you British or American?

Grilled veggie sandwiches...get whatever meaty vegetables are in season (cheapest ones, usually), grill'em on the stove along with the bread slices (I use a cast iron griddle) and put it together.

You can also add the cheese and/or chorizo special of the day from you closest fiambrería.

Tagliatelli comes in a big bag at most grocery stores. I use this, 1 bell pepper, 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 onion, 1 avocado and black pepper for a tasty and light dish. No oil needed since avocados have plenty.

I make my own yogurt every 2 weeks with 2 liters of whole milk and starter (usually from my previous batch). Makes 12 servings.

Tagliatelli comes in a big bag at most grocery stores.

I've been making my own pasta recently, cup of flour and egg per person and mix it up with a little water if needed. flatten it out and cut. Boil it and your done.

Try and cut as thin as you can as it expands, I bought one of these pasta cutters to make it really thin

Very tempting...making my own pasta. I make tortillas; pasta shouldn't be that much more work. :)

I recommend taking a look at Costa Rican food (this is what I most often cook). It is simple, tasty, healthy and low cost. Things are mostly cooked based on a mirepoix (a.k.a "los olores") of bell pepper, onion & cilantro, along with rice/beans/veggies and optionally some sort of meat. You can find or substitute most ingredients in Argentina, which is of course important (except, perhaps, Salsa Lizano which I bring on trips from the US).

Reference:

http://recetasdecostarica.blogspot.com.ar/

Good recipes to start w/ include "sopa negra" (less than 10 pesos/meal), "gallo pinto" (less than 10 pesos/meal), "arroz con pollo" (less than 20 pesos/meal).

I've been making my own pasta recently, cup of flour and egg per person and mix it up with a little water if needed. flatten it out and cut. Boil it and your done.

Try and cut as thin as you can as it expands, I bought one of these pasta cutters to make it really thin

What flour are you using? I was on a make your pasta at home spree before moving, but I plan on resume it as soon as I get my tools here. I was also planning on making larger portions to store. I don't usually freeze or store food, but for pasta I could make an exception. I saw conchiglioni for sale at 90 pesos half kilo, are they crazy or what?!

What flour are you using? I was on a make your pasta at home spree before moving, but I plan on resume it as soon as I get my tools here. I was also planning on making larger portions to store. I don't usually freeze or store food, but for pasta I could make an exception. I saw conchiglioni for sale at 90 pesos half kilo, are they crazy or what?!

Just regular white 0000 flour.

Back