Cheese For Cheesecakes

I used la serenisma, I found I needed to add a lot more acid than the recipes called for to get a sizeable amount of cheese from it. I will fiddle around with some different recipes the next time I get around to making ricotta and perhaps try different milks.

Tregar Queso crema, not queso blanco, but queso crema, can't tell the difference,
I made New York style cheesecake at Christmas using tregar queso crema. It is a tad softer than the brick Philadelphia so I adjusted liquids a little, but otherwise it tasted exactly the same. Make sure you don't buy the lower fat version. I had purchased four other brands and sampled them first. Only Tregar tasted like Philadelphia. My recipes call for sour cream and of course it doesn't exist here. There are many ideas given on this blog on how to make sour cream, but I just added a little lemon juice.

What brand of milk do you use? I tried a couple of time but the milk here is so watered down (La Serenissa) that I could get 80 g of ricotta out of 1 liter of milk.
La Choza full fat, NOT homogenized. You can get it at Granomadre.
Nancy

Follow-up post.

I was not able to find Tregar crema at my Coto, so I bough Finlandia clasico as Nancy suggested. Philadelphia was not available, either. Anyway, it was a success and I liked it (I don't like cheesecakes, but this one I liked that!).
I made a few adjustments according to what I had at home and what I was able to find at my supermarket, so please don't kill me for not sticking to the classic cheesecake recipe.

Here it goes:

For the base: 2 packs of Lincoln biscuit and 180 g of butter.
Simply melt the butter, grind the biscuits, then mix the two together by hand and using a spoon, cover a cake mold (I used a spring mold with parchment paper on the bottom)
Put in the fridge to cool.

For the top:
  • 250 g of ricotta - I used La Serenissima in a bag
  • 300 g of Finlandia clasico
  • 2-3 spoon of cream (approx 40 g) - I used La Serenissima
  • 100 g of sugar
  • 20 g of flour (or maizena or starch)
  • half a teaspoon of vanilla aroma
  • 3 eggs
For the serving: berry jam (blueberry, raspberry, redberry, strawberry... they are all good)

Beat on high the ricotta, the cheese, and the flour with the sugar. Add the eggs, one at time, always beating. Finally add the cream and the aroma. Pour on the cake base, bake for about 45' at 175°C, or until you notice the top is firm.
Let it cool, and then put in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve with a berry jam or berry coulis, anything a little sourish pairs well. You could even try to serve it with some grains of pomegranate.

If you are feeling creative, you can make single portions instead of a cake, using pastry paper cases.

Thank ya'll for the suggestions, I will try the other variants as soon as I get ahold of the ingredients mentioned in the thread!

I have had to really look for the Tregor queso crema at Coto. It is always buried under other brands. Thanks for the recipe!

I made New York style cheesecake at Christmas using tregar queso crema. It is a tad softer than the brick Philadelphia so I adjusted liquids a little, but otherwise it tasted exactly the same. Make sure you don't buy the lower fat version. I had purchased four other brands and sampled them first. Only Tregar tasted like Philadelphia. My recipes call for sour cream and of course it doesn't exist here. There are many ideas given on this blog on how to make sour cream, but I just added a little lemon juice.

Sour cream does exist here...aka "Casan Crema"...very very similar. Works great in baked potatoes too

One thing is true, you gotta make your own if you want that authentic taste. I've been on a cheesecake hunt and I've only been disappointed every time. Barrio chino has the big blocks of Philadelphia cheese for a good price. It's worth the commute.

One thing is true, you gotta make your own if you want that authentic taste. I've been on a cheesecake hunt and I've only been disappointed every time. Barrio chino has the big blocks of Philadelphia cheese for a good price. It's worth the commute.

Unless something has changed VERY recently philadelphia is more expensive in barrio chino than in the supermarket.

Coto is 15% of on tuesdays for loyalty card members (takes <5 minutes to sign up) I stopped by to stock up on so Philadelphia and it came out to 46 pesos a brick. Not too bad all things considered.

Breakfast tomorrow is grapefruit cured salmon with cream cheese in a bagels. Take that medialuna de grasa y mate cocida.

Back