Child custody laws

yabasta

Registered
Can anyone provide information or point me in a direction to look for information on child custody laws in Argentina as it applies to children with one parent of the US and another of Argentina?

You don´t give a lot of details and this is difficult stuff for a board but in general terms you can´t do anything without the written consent of one of the parents. If he/she does not want that you can take your kid(s) out of the country(not even Uruguay) you can´t.

I think the legal age is 18 or maybe 21

Ask a lawyer who specializes in family law in Argentina:

http://www.hg.org/law-firms/Child-Support-and-Custody/Argentina.html

I think the key factors will be whether or not the child was born in Argentina and whether or not the US parent has residency and an Argentine DNI. The US parent should be eligible for Argentine residency if the child was born here, and residency conveys (almost) equal legal status here.

If the child was born in the USA but is living in Argentina with the Argentine parent, the US parent will undoubtedly face greater obstacles in pursuit of legal custody or parental rights here.

If you are a man, it does not matter too much, you are screwed! I have a friend that is North American and has a daughter with an argentine. The mother has tried suicide several times, been in a mental hospital, and there were signs of abuse of the daughter and the judge says child stays with mother till 12 to 14 years "no matter what". I do wish you the best of luck.

Mike

yabasta said:
Can anyone provide information or point me in a direction to look for information on child custody laws in Argentina as it applies to children with one parent of the US and another of Argentina?

hello, my daughter is american , in order to get your child´s residency you have to
seal with hague apostille your child´s birth certificate, parent residing in the us´s permission granting residency in argentina, everything has to be translated
and legalized by notary public (escribano)
then you should request residency which is $600 pesos, they will give you a ´precaria, temporary residence and 50 days later the final residency.

copy of the child´s passport, proof that the child is going to school, 2 pics, etc.

you can find more info in ministerio del interior, migraciones extra mercosur,

good luck

I am an American woman who has a baby with an Argentinian. The baby is still breastfeeding. The baby has both US and Argentinian citizenship, but I do not. I only have US and have been in Argentina for the past 2 years on tourist visas.

mrisley said:
If you are a man, it does not matter too much, you are screwed! I have a friend that is North American and has a daughter with an argentine. The mother has tried suicide several times, been in a mental hospital, and there were signs of abuse of the daughter and the judge says child stays with mother till 12 to 14 years "no matter what". I do wish you the best of luck.

Mike

Parental rights, both mother and father are really strong in Argentina, I don´t blame them considering the history

That begin said, your friend can threaten to leave for NA, not paying a dime and forget about the kid, if the mother is in no state to take care of the kid she will probally sign the agreement

Yabasta, that makes it a lot easier. The baby was born in Argentina, I would imagine. That being the case, you can get your residencia with no problem.

Good luck,

Mike

Back