Chile 101

ben

Registered
Planning a stint of a few days in Santiago. Anyone know -

1) How the AR Peso exchange situation would stack up over there?
Also, any particular suggestions on an exchange place, in the airport or in the city?

2) Any Chile-focused expat board comparable to this one?

Thanks y'all!

Don't exchange anything at the airport.

On the street called Agustinas, a couple of blocks north of the palacio de moneda (giant presidential palace in the centre of the city, you can't miss it )

There are 5 exchange shops in the space of two blocks, the prices are excelent on everything including US dollars. Each one has a slightly better price for different currencies so walk past them all till you find the one with the highest rate for exchanging argentina pesos and there u go.

Reactions: ben
When I visited Chile in 2010 I remember feeling that it was quite a bit more expensive than Buenos Aires.

More xpensive, far less to do, people less friendy. I'd head to Vina, eat some good seafood, enjoy the wines if you're a white wine lover and then head on back for real city life.

No way is santiago more expensive now with all the inflation. I visit every few months for business, my hotel and favourite restaurants have barely increased in price for 3 years. Flying out of Bs As is like leaving the twilight zone.

I agree with the other points though, it is a boring place with cold, ugly and completely unstylish people. Chilean spanish is in my opinion the worst form that exists in the world it is truly awful.

Really? Its been about 6 months since I've Ben there, is BA really more expensive now? Haven't seen how much their currency has devalued, is that part of it?

Back