Chile, A Success Story, Hiring Foreign Professionals ...!!!

How things change! I remember entering Argentina from Chile on a bus from Puerto Montt to Bariloche. All the passengers had to get off at the border and were interrogated. Several of the passengers with me were sent back to Chile. I had to open my money belt and show Immigration that I had credit cards and cash to support me during my visit, which as a tourist was only 21 days. Not many tourists came during the Junta Militar, and they were not made to feel welcome.

How things change! I remember entering Argentina from Chile on a bus from Puerto Montt to Bariloche. All the passengers had to get off at the border and were interrogated. Several of the passengers with me were sent back to Chile. I had to open my money belt and show Immigration that I had credit cards and cash to support me during my visit, which as a tourist was only 21 days. Not many tourists came during the Junta Militar, and they were not made to feel welcome.

I was in a restaurant in Río Mayo, having crossed from Coyhaique, when a milico came in with a sidearm. His body language said, "I could pull this pistol out and blow someone away, and none of you would dare say a word."

I just knew beforehand what direction this thread would take! However, I have read some very interesting insights. ''Buenos Aires, the capital of an Empire that never existed.'' Nice description.

This thread certainly has taken some turns hasn't it?

With regards to Chino/Negro/Gordo/etc - it's one thing to use it as nickname amongst close friends, it is another to use it someone you don't know or with whom you don't have a close personal relationship. It shows a rather insular sense of thinking at best and is downright rude at worst.

I literally had to explain to a sr level person in Argentina (who didn't work for my company but a client company) that he could NOT use the term negro or even worse, nigger when describing someone and to boot, someone in the US. True story. How is that possible you don't understand that in this day and age?

I know this is off topic, but I have to agree with Citygirl.
I assume she is talking about this sr level person being Argentine and in that respect, these words have moderate strength in Castellano as we all know.
And of course it works the other way round with English swear words when they use them.
I have to cringe sometimes and it certainly adds to the colour.

Very interesting topic, as an Argentine myself I would say that generally when we say negro we don't really talk about the racial group that is so stigmatized in America, I have blond friends that we always call negro in my town, I have never analyze so much the meaning of the word and a black person is the last thing that pass through my mind when I use that word, not the same happen when I hear that word in English as all the movies that come from America teach as that the word Black have a bad implication or a bad meaning, when I go to Europe or EEUU I know that i don't have to use them as the meaning and implications there are bad.
From my point of view and my cultural background I think is wrong to put a bad meaning in a word as if it would be bad to be black or to be Chinese that it cannot be named, why is that some words are not stigmatized and some other are? Is that is better to be called American than to be called black? The same ban on the word generates a bigger problem as it put some groups over other groups.
Example of this: call someone black when you don’t know his name is wrong but the same when you call someone Red hair is ok so what is the message here? That been black is bad and been red hair is cool????

That is my thinking; of course it can be different from the point of view of a porteño as I’m from a small town where racial difference means almost nothing. Still I will say that I think that Argentines are in lot of situation racist specially again certain groups of immigrants, I cannot measure if Argentines are more or less racist than Americans or European as for that I would need to understand much more the culture in there.
In any case you cannot use the same stick to measure a word or behavior in different country’s as the implications of that is not the same in different cultures.

Anyway as RichOne was calling my opinion from the beginning here it is :p

Very interesting topic, as an Argentine myself I would say that generally when we say negro we don't really talk about the racial group that is so stigmatized in America, I have blond friends that we always call negro in my town, I have never analyze so much the meaning of the word and a black person is the last thing that pass through my mind when I use that word, not the same happen when I hear that word in English as all the movies that come from America teach as that the word Black have a bad implication or a bad meaning, when I go to Europe or EEUU I know that i don't have to use them as the meaning and implications there are bad.
From my point of view and my cultural background I think is wrong to put a bad meaning in a word as if it would be bad to be black or to be Chinese that it cannot be named, why is that some words are not stigmatized and some other are? Is that is better to be called American than to be called black? The same ban on the word generates a bigger problem as it put some groups over other groups.
Example of this: call someone black when you don’t know his name is wrong but the same when you call someone Red hair is ok so what is the message here? That been black is bad and been red hair is cool????

That is my thinking; of course it can be different from the point of view of a porteño as I’m from a small town where racial difference means almost nothing. Still I will say that I think that Argentines are in lot of situation racist specially again certain groups of immigrants, I cannot measure if Argentines are more or less racist than Americans or European as for that I would need to understand much more the culture in there.
In any case you cannot use the same stick to measure a word or behavior in different country’s as the implications of that is not the same in different cultures.

Anyway as RichOne was calling my opinion from the beginning here it is :p

Your opinion on "Chile a Success Story.....!!" was invited :rolleyes: , Racism belongs in another thread....
Some gas station attendants in the countryside where I go every week call me Negrito...! which is OK with me I told them however that Viejo or Gordo is not acceptable....!! :D

Your opinion on "Chile a Success Story.....!!" was invited :rolleyes:, Racism belongs in another thread....
Some gas station attendants in the countryside where I go every week call me Negrito...! which is OK with me I told them however that Viejo or Gordo is not acceptable....!! :D

You are right, i didn't pay attention to the whole thread i just read the content not the tittle lol, but aparently no one else did as it look like a racism conversation and cultural diferent topic.

In Buenos Aires, random people address me with 'flaco' all the time. And 'ruso', 'turco', 'gallego', 'polaco', 'capo', etc

Haven't ever heard something like that elsewhere.

Instead, in this country the right word seems to be 'macho'.

I have to conclude that I unconsciously seem to look like a very masculine, authoritarian-looking, Jamon Iberico-eating rather thin Chechnyan Muslim cleric from Poland.

Back to Chile:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/28/chile-jobless-idUSL1N0BS3R120130228?feedType=RSS&feedName=marketsNews&rpc=43

Back