Chile is not Switzerland

camberiu said:
We will be here for another 7 days, but so far we have been really impressed with the cleaness, organization, safety and prices we have seen in Chile.

Tell us more about this wunderland across the mountains!
What about the seaside cities like Valparaiso or los roques?

What about petty crime in Santiago (years ago in Punta Arenas which actually does look and feel like Switzerland, I've been warned about Santiago being a drunken mess) ?

thanks!

I suppose it's all a question of a personal taste. Boring doesn't bother me, neither does being waited on. ;)

Argentines have a pretty negative attitude towards Chile for a variety of reasons, so I've learned not to put too much stock into their attitude about it. As with anyplace, you have to experience it for yourself.

Eclair said:
I suppose it's all a question of a personal taste. Boring doesn't bother me, neither does being waited on. ;)

Really? I would have thought if you wanted boring BsAs wouldnt be the place...

Eclair said:

Argentines have a pretty negative attitude towards Chile for a variety of reasons, so I've learned not to put too much stock into their attitude about it. As with anyplace, you have to experience it for yourself.
I agree with you but Santiago at least IS quite boring and sterile. On the other hand --- that sounds quite appealing about now!

Santiago...anyone comparing Santiago to BA must be ... spending there a few days on holidays.

I've been to Santiago many times (work) and I can confirm the classism thing. It is terrible, much worse than in most of Latam countries. A very narrow-minded society. Santiago is boring, has no soul and sterile. Good is the Andes background, which can be seen...before the smog ruins it all at ca. 10 am.

the nice thing about Chile is that it boasts more than one livable city, and I understand the seaside ones don't get that much smog.

Any first hand experience in places like Valdivia (college town), Pt Montt, Concepcion (industrial wasteland?), Valparaiso (second capital), etc?

The smog problem is only in Santiago. Valdivia, Pt Mont are nice.

There's nothing like a post about how nice Chile is to get all the Argentines here posting. :rolleyes:

Boring as Santiago may be, I'd rather be payed in Chilean pesos rather than Argentine pesos.

sleslie23 said:
Boring as Santiago may be, I'd rather be payed in Chilean pesos rather than Argentine pesos.

For what matters I would rather be paid in Swiss Francs but... do you have what it takes to be paid in Chilean pesos? If YES, LAN is doing a special on one way Ezeiza-Santiago...:D

Back