Chocolate chip cookies

"U.S. style brown sugar" is not just brown sugar. It is sugar that has molasses left in it or added back in after the refining process. It is sticky and has different consistency than sugar. I have been told I can find brown sugar in many different places, including China town. However, it is not what I'm looking for. It's more like "sugar in the raw" which is just brown-colored sugar. Not the same....

lejohnson said:
"U.S. style brown sugar" is not just brown sugar. It is sugar that has molasses left in it or added back in after the refining process. It is sticky and has different consistency than sugar. I have been told I can find brown sugar in many different places, including China town. However, it is not what I'm looking for. It's more like "sugar in the raw" which is just brown-colored sugar. Not the same....

You're mistaken. Sugar in the raw means unrefined sugar and that is what you call U.S style brown sugar. There are different levels of sticky-ness (ranging from 3.5% to 6.5%) and that depends on how much molasses it has (not added, but left). If shouldn't have molasses added after, that's not real brown sugar, that's just a replacement.

Azúcar mascabo (you find it in chinatown and dietéticas) is what you're looking for, with the most amount of molasses.
And "azúcar integral" is brown sugar with less content of molasses.

The only thing that is just brown-colored sugar is the "fantasy" stuff, which is cheap, found everywhere, and is the one they use in the "facturas".

Next time ask Mrs. Trumbull to borrow a cup of her good brown sugar. Anyway, no offense to Ethel but I hear Carolyn Applebee makes the best chocolate chip cookies in town...with Betty Ramsey and Marion Strong coming in second and third. :D

surfing said:
Next time ask Mrs. Trumbull to borrow a cup of her good brown sugar. Anyway, no offense to Ethel but I hear Carolyn Applebee makes the best chocolate chip cookies in town...with Betty Ramsey and Marion Strong coming in second and third. :D

Barney Rubble says his wife Betty's cookies are unbeatable.

The "azucar integral" you can buy at barrio chino works great when I make cookies. In fact, I like it better than the brown sugar in the U.S. because it seems to have more molasses and is more moist.

Hello
Whatever you are going to buy I recommend you to buy at a good health store or supermarket, last time I bought cocoa without sugare for my kids at a very small health store I had to throw it away cocoa had a lot of spices on it that I have no idea what it was in fact..... and it has happened to me many times before....
Reina

Thanks all. I´ll look for the recommended flour and $$$ brown sugar. The Ricardos will be visiting us for christmas and I´ll ask th4em to bring the sugar.
Ethel Mertz
Wednesday Afternnon Fine Arts League
Carolyn Applebee President
Ethel Mertz Vice President

One more comment. This is probably why all (in my opinion) chocolate cakes in BA are vile. There is a bakery on Esmeralda at Siupacha with a branch on Montevideo near Quintana, that my be the exception.

I have not yet tried them but understand the cakes and cookies are great:

http://tutinobakery.blogspot.com/

fred mertz said:
One more comment. This is probably why all (in my opinion) chocolate cakes in BA are vile. There is a bakery on Esmeralda at Siupacha with a branch on Montevideo near Quintana, that my be the exception.

bebero said:
You're mistaken. Sugar in the raw means unrefined sugar and that is what you call U.S style brown sugar. There are different levels of sticky-ness (ranging from 3.5% to 6.5%) and that depends on how much molasses it has (not added, but left). If shouldn't have molasses added after, that's not real brown sugar, that's just a replacement.

Azúcar mascabo (you find it in chinatown and dietéticas) is what you're looking for, with the most amount of molasses.
And "azúcar integral" is brown sugar with less content of molasses.

The only thing that is just brown-colored sugar is the "fantasy" stuff, which is cheap, found everywhere, and is the one they use in the "facturas".

Thanks for this, I'm going to restart my search this weekend for azucar mascabo instead of azucar moreno, which was not what I was looking for. When I was referring to sugar in the raw, though, I meant the brand of brown-colored sugar commonly served at coffee chains like Starbucks, http://www.sugarintheraw.com/.

Back