Chocolate Chips In Buenos Aires ??

You can get Aguila chocolate chips in the supermarkets now (check Walmart and Coto). They are dark chocolate I believe. Look for the pink bags. I used them for making cookies this holiday season and they worked out very well!

The chocolate chips here are NOT semi-sweet. They are plain chocolate and not high quality chocolate. However baking them into cookies, I don't find much of a difference in taste. Eating them by the handful is another thing.....

THIS!

They're not that great, but they'll have to do. Most people will be fine with them, the difference will be obvious to you and to anyone who knows what a chocolate chip morsel should taste like.

Keep in mind that most mass produced chocolate here in Argentina is VERY low quality in terms of its ingredients. Good quality chocolate has a high cocoa content which in turn contains cocoa butter. Here most chocolate has almost ALL of it's cocoa butter removed (which is the chocolate's naturally occurring fat) and replaced with hydrogenated oil. When most or all of this fat is removed the name chocolate is replaced with "baño de repostería" which in effect means "confectioner's glaze" in English. Take a look at any of those really cheap chocolate bars - and read the ingredients or you will see this phrase directly on the wrapper. If you are concerned about quality ingredients (and your health for that matter) avoid "baño de repostería" when it comes to chocolate in Argentina. The brand "Aguila" from Arcor is probably your best bet in terms of any quality chocolate for a reasonable price. It comes in either a pink and white or black wrapper. The "Aguila" brand has both real chocolate which comes in bar / tablet form AND "baño de repostería" which comes in a pouch and I am going to guess that their chocolate chips are probably made out of this stuff too, so make sure you read the label, if it's important to you, of course.

You can get Aguila chocolate chips in the supermarkets now (check Walmart and Coto). They are dark chocolate I believe. Look for the pink bags. I used them for making cookies this holiday season and they worked out very well!

Yep, Aguila now has "semiamargo." I buy the 1 kilo bag at Doña Clara and they do handsomely.

I remember reading an article (http://www.conexionbrando.com/1381262) how Osvaldo Gross (pasteleria chef on TV) only buys his chocolate from Fenix. Though they don't have chocolate chips, the chocolate is good, better than Aguila in my opinion. There store in Constitucion (Solis 2022) has up to 1 kilo bars of high quality chocolate. But I see that Dona Clara also has some Fenix chocolate too, and chocolatechocolate.com.ar carries a lot of Fenix too.

I remember reading an article (http://www.conexionbrando.com/1381262) how Osvaldo Gross (pasteleria chef on TV) only buys his chocolate from Fenix. Though they don't have chocolate chips, the chocolate is good, better than Aguila in my opinion. There store in Constitucion (Solis 2022) has up to 1 kilo bars of high quality chocolate. But I see that Dona Clara also has some Fenix chocolate too, and chocolatechocolate.com.ar carries a lot of Fenix too.

Fenix is def much better than Aguila. I find it at bodega amparo. I think it's $130/kilo

Also agree that Fenix chocolate is really good. I've bought Fenix at a chocolate store Theombra in Caballito. They also carry, or at least used to, Salgado chocolate which is good too but more expensive. And I remember they also had small chocolate chips there at the time, don't know if they would be good ones or not.

http://rgrieco2013.mercadoshops.com.ar/gotitas-de-chocolate-semiamargo-de-1%C2%BA-kilo-49186881xJM

86 pesos per kilo

Back