Christmas Ham

keech

Registered
Hi All,

Has anyone found Smoked Christmas ham here or a normal leg of ham,

I had ordered it form the local butcher but he has turned up with Pork not ham.
I think i didnt describe it to him correctly.

I saw in one of the forums somebody mention the name for ham in spanish..not Jamon... but for the life of me I cant find it again..

Its getting urgent,my taste buds are tingling..

Any help would be great

Go to any good butcher store ( Mercado de Belgrano, www.delicateses.com.ar etc ) and get " pata de jamon " or " jamon entero " with or w/o the bones.

**this is from Nikad....found the post...hope that helps!!

Well....ham is pork. I haven't seen smoked ham piece in whole. Try contacting someone at www.elgourmet.com

Lots of their production is filmed locally and they should know where to point you. I would sure like one too, with brown sugar and maple syrup glaze....mmmmmmm

Pork is ham?
Not where I'm from... my Grandmum would shoot someone for that sacrilege of the festive season...grin

Pork is the fresh meat you get from a pig, ham is pork which has been preserved with salt or a salt solution (brine) and then cooked, usually boiled or roasted. ...

I dont know what boiled pork would taste like but it just sounds odd...eeewwwuu

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

Happy Hoilidays!!!

The big carrefour in Vincente Lopez has a full shelf with entire pata de jamon, or ham sold per 100 grams. The patas start at around 400 till 700 pesos, some come with their "plancha" (board). I didnt check the origin tho.

Fifi,

Do you know if thats Serrano ham ie pre-cooked/smoked and chewy or uncooked fleshy goodness?

K

keech said:
Fifi,

Do you know if thats Serrano ham ie pre-cooked/smoked and chewy or uncooked fleshy goodness?

K

Those are not the hams you are looking for. They are the Serrano/Parma/crudo type cured hams.

try and ask lomito de cerdo ahumado, and have a look at it to see if that is what you are looking for.
you'll find it in any supermarket such as jumbo, carrefour... it may be cut or in a large piece.
good luck

You have to look for jamon ahumado, all the other types will not be what you are looking for. You can also try a good deli store, like Valenti

nikad said:
You have to look for jamon ahumado, all the other types will not be what you are looking for. You can also try a good deli store, like Valenti

Yum! Valenti is so good!

Keech, I suggest you take a good picture with you so you can show them what you are looking for. Sometimes we think we are asking for the right thing when actually it's something a bit different.

Back