Cinco en Punto

Redpossum

Registered
Cinco en Punto is my new favorite little hole in the wall coffee shop. It's not Boulangerie Cocu, but it's good for downtown, and surprisingly economical. They're at 768 Paraguay, between Esmeralda and Maipú. That's the third block east of 9 de Julio (i.e. on the river side, not the inland side), and a block north of Cordoba. It's right across the street from the post office.

The owners are Julián and his wife. He minds the counter, and she does the baking. Not much of a menu, TBH, just coffee and empanadas and facturas, but she makes them all in-house and they are tasty. No fancy coffees or Starbucks frapuccino horseshit, just your basic cafe con leche and such, but their prices are reasonable, to be sure. The ironic part is that they are just two doors down from a much fancier, more trendy place that charges exorbitant prices for their ooh la la delicacies.

Oh, and there is a smoking area semi-outdoors, with a separate much larger non-smoking section actually inside. So you can get your caffeine fix and your nicotine fix at the same time, you unreconstructed hedonist, you.

I walk by it all the time, but I dont drink coffee or smoke, and almost never eat facturas. More of a raclette type of guy, I drink carrot juice or eat chicken wraps. I go to the tandil sandwich place on San Martin and Marcelo T all the time, I get helados at Esmeralda, and get the lunch special at Mr. Ho. And I eat bondipans from La Sonada a couple times a week. Been known to hit Fa Song Song often, and I like those sliders at Tanta, too. Thats my hood, man.

I walk by it all the time, but I dont drink coffee or smoke, and almost never eat facturas. More of a raclette type of guy, I drink carrot juice or eat chicken wraps. I go to the tandil sandwich place on San Martin and Marcelo T all the time, I get helados at Esmeralda, and get the lunch special at Mr. Ho. And I eat bondipans from La Sonada a couple times a week. Been known to hit Fa Song Song often, and I like those sliders at Tanta, too. Thats my hood, man.

In that case, we have probably walked past each other on the street unknowingly.
Do you shop at that Disco just a couple blocks north of Arenales? I like it because it's open on Sunday evenings when most other things are closed. The down side is dragging my heavily-laden changito up that damn hill.

And when you say that Tandil sandwich place, do you mean Simona, catty-corner from the Supermercadito Abraham?

We dont live there- its where my studio is, so I am there most weekdays when I am in Argentina. The building is closed on weekends and so I am seldom in San Nicolas on weekends. We live further up Santa Fe, in Barrio Norte, and dont have to go to Disco- we have a couple dozen small shops close by with much better stuff. Never been a big supermarket fan anywhere, but in BA, I can get better stuff for similar prices and avoid Disco and Coto and Carrefour pretty much entirely.
The sandwicheria Tandilense is only open for lunch, its right near the corner of San Martin and Marcelo T. It has all kinds of actual Tandil ingredients, and makes a mean brie y crudo.

Back