Citizenship of child born in Argentina from US Citizen Parents?

Validitorian

Registered
I found a site that states this:
A. Children born in Wedlock

1) Born to two U.S. citizen parents

If either parent has resided in the United States prior to the birth of the child, the child acquires U.S. citizenship under the provisions of Section 301 (c) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act. There is no requisite period of residence for the parents in the United States, but it must have been at some time prior to the child's birth.

---------------------

The question is, are they ONLY a U.S. citizen, or do they also become a citizen of Argentina?

They are an Argentine citizen if born here - this is un-renouncable if they are born here - they cannot travel out of the country on any other passport.

They can claim US citizenship (CROBA?) from either parent, married or not - *however* - it is much more difficult if it is just the father that is US citizen - and it is not that simple if you are the mother. You do need to have proof of residence for 5 years or more - pay stubbs, etc and all the medical history of the pregnancy. Keep everything.

see the embassy website for ARG - for details

When you say "they" you mean the child or the parents?
The parents do not become citizens of Argentina if their child is born in Argentina. Only the child.

Right, I meant the child.

So to clarify:

My wife and I are both U.S. Citizens, we go to Argentina and have baby. Baby is now U.S. Citizen and Argentina Citizen - is this correct?

the child will be Argentine - the parents should get 'permanent residency' under the rules - but I am not sure if both of you are not Argentine.

You don't just get the US citizenship even if both of you are US citizens - the burden of proof is on you to satisfy the consulate that you are eligible(all the paper work - they seem to be very cautious about fraudulent pregancies, maybe trafficing).

and if you do plan on doing this get all your marriage, police, birth certificates apostilled before you arrive and then you need to get them all translated by a public translator and then legalised by a gestor here before you can use them here.

its bureaucratic nightmare.

Based on a lot of the posts on this board, the US is the most evil country in the world, so why would you want your kids to have US citizenship?

sergio said:
Based on a lot of the posts on this board, the US is the most evil country in the world, so why would you want your kids to have US citizenship?

Call it being old-fashioned. The U.S. might not be great right now, but there is still hope.

Does anyone have a link to where it talks about this? All the sites I find say that the child automatically gets U.S. Citizenship if both parents are U.S. Citizens and have resided in the U.S. previously.

I think that the kids will automatically have dual citizenship (as long as you apply for it with the USA), but...

1) the boys will be required to grow mullets and
2) girls will be required to get at least 1 facial piercing by their 18th birthday

Sorry about that. That's the law.

Go to US Citizen Services at the US embassy. Call them and ask when the hours for a consultation at the embassy. I still think if the US is as bad as almost everyone here says, it's best to make the kids Argentine nationals and then apply for Argentine citizenship yourself(ves) and then renounce US citizenship.

sergio said:
Go to US Citizen Services at the US embassy. Call them and ask when the hours for a consultation at the embassy. I still think if the US is as bad as almost everyone here says, it's best to make the kids Argentine nationals and then apply for Argentine citizenship yourself(ves) and then renounce US citizenship.

To be honest, I do think America has done some pretty aweful things, and the leadership is well... severely lacking. But if "BA Expats" is where you are getting your information on whether America is a good place or not, then it's not exactly bipartisan :) The people leaving America are generally a bit biased, I would imagine.

Back