Citizenship Through Marriage?

If you get permanent residency based on marriage, as far as I understand it, it is revoked if you get divorced because its issued based on ley 616/10 Art 22 A which states "ARTICULO 22.- El extranjero que solicite su residencia permanente deberá acreditar:

a) Ser cónyuge, progenitor o hijo de argentino nativo, naturalizado o por opción; teniendo en cuenta principios de unidad, sostén y con el alcance del derecho de reunificación familiar establecido en la legislación pertinente y en el artículo 10 de la presente Reglamentación."

While the law you quote states that you need to be legally married to receive permanent residency there is nothing that indicates that it would be revoked after a divorce.

While the law you quote states that you need to be legally married to receive permanent residency there is nothing that indicates that it would be revoked after a divorce.

Hence the "as far as I understand it" part.

On a closely related topic, please advise me where I can get fingerprints for the FBI background check. I'm here is BsAs, married to an Argie.

On a closely related topic, please advise me where I can get fingerprints for the FBI background check. I'm here is BsAs, married to an Argie.

Click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass and enter the word "fingerprints" and "FBI" in an advance search. Display the results as posts.

thread_hijack_in_progress_sign.png

While you guys might think I am nuts (maybe I am ;) ) I'll provide some background information.

*Just for the sake of it, all this information provided below is completely hypothetical and does not in any way apply to me or anyone I know in any way.*

My parents moved to Argentina with my two little brothers over a year ago, and then two other of my brothers moved here. I came to accompany them. None of us have plans or ever had plans of going back to the US to live. So far I enjoy the lifestyle in Argentina much more than USA, and my opinion is that the people here have a much better "Onda" then the ones I have met in the United States. I absolutely love it here in Cordoba.

I understand that the Argentine government is pretty bad and screwing everyone over, as the peso and dollar were at quite a similar rate not too long ago. Fortunately I will continue to be earning USD and will keep my US citizenship. Having Argentine citizenship would help in a lot of ways keeping residency here with future travels (especially to other mercosur countries) as well as opening a bank up in another country for the transfer of USD (such as Uruguay).

That's my two cents.

While you guys might think I am nuts (maybe I am ;) ) I'll provide some background information.

*Just for the sake of it, all this information provided below is completely hypothetical and does not in any way apply to me or anyone I know in any way.*

My parents moved to Argentina with my two little brothers over a year ago, and then two other of my brothers moved here. I came to accompany them. None of us have plans or ever had plans of going back to the US to live. So far I enjoy the lifestyle in Argentina much more than USA, and the people are a lot friendlier and much less ignorant than the average "yankee" (at least in Cordoba). I absolutely love it here in Cordoba.

I understand that the Argentine government is pretty bad and screwing everyone over, as the peso and dollar were at quite a similar rate not too long ago. Fortunately I will continue to be earning USD and will keep my US residency. Having Argentine citizenship would help in a lot of ways keeping residency here with future travels (especially to other mercosur countries) as well as opening a bank up in another country for the transfer of USD (such as Uruguay).

As bad as the Argentine government might be I would be proud to be a citizen of a self-sustaining country that doesn't earn all it's money from starting war with other countries and isn't owned by China.

That's my two cents.

From your original "me and my girlfriend" grammatical construction, I would guess you are quite young, and perhaps could benefit from learning some history instead of parroting platitudes. Life can, indeed, be wonderful in Argentina! But I question your credentials for reliably calling Yankees, or anyone else, for that matter, "ignorant." Maybe it would be good to read more, spout opinions less?

As bad as the Argentine government might be I would be proud to be a citizen of a self-sustaining country that doesn't earn all it's money from starting war with other countries and isn't owned by China.

Maybe reading some news about the financial situation of the country you want to be proud of might change your view ;)

Back