Citizenship Through Marriage?

As bad as the Argentine government might be I would be proud to be a citizen of a self-sustaining country that doesn't earn all it's money from starting war with other countries and isn't owned by China.

he...he...hehe...ha...ha....hahaHAHAHAHHAHAHAhahaHAAHAH! oh man stop it you're killing me!

phew! that was a good one. Thanks for the laugh.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavors.

Maybe reading some news about the financial situation of the country you want to be proud of might change your view ;)
I understand that Argentina is in a horrible financial situation but I accept that as I am still earning and plan to continue earning USD.

Maybe it would be good to read more, spout opinions less?
You're right. I've edited my post to take out personal opinion and leave in my situation.

I am a little puzzled - can't you get a legal way to stay here with your family, then? They must be here on some sort of visa, so why couldn't you? I don't mean to sound insulting, but getting married for the sole piece of paper sounds quite the bad plan. As for residency in the U.S., I am even more confused. I thought you were a citizen, not a resident.

As for the cultural comments, I think that where you grow up you tend to know a wider variety of people (through school or wider family) than when you move abroad. For example I met some interesting people here, but only because I am fishing mostly on this forum or at cultural events that I didn't attend to in my home country, so the chances to find like-minded people is higher this way. I think everybody of us have met more ignorant people back home. First, because with no language barriers you really get to understand people better, second because you can't be so selective as when you move abroad with a clean slate.

I am a citizen of US I didn't mean to say residency, I've changed it in my post.

As far as the cultural comments go they were out of line, you're right.

As far as my family, they hypothetically don't have Visas either. I am unsure of their plan however I know that my mother is meeting with a lawyer in the next weeks to see some options.

For me, marriage is only a piece of paper with legal rights anyways. I see marriage in a civil court as literally nothing more than a legal piece of paper. For people who believe in marriage more than I do, I can see how it could be worse. I don't exactly believe in the whole traditional or religious part of marriage, so if it weren't for the legal papers I would never do it.

I could be missing something pretty big here but that's why I came to the forum to ask.

I hope your future wife feels the same way about piece of paper ;)

And as you mentioned, it is legal paper and divorce can reveal funny things. I know quite few people marrying this way, even two guys married as gay couple (not gays anyway) and mostly went through good. But I also know some where that wasn't a case. One friend already had child with today's husband, while still married to a guy with bad gambling habits. That was not known to her before, but cost her just the same...

Edit:spelling

ShawarmaJames

Man..just do what your heart tells you to do.

Do not be discouraged by this conversation.

All the best.

I hope your future wife feels the same way about piece of paper ;)

And as you mentioned, it is legal paper and divorce can reveal funny things. I know quite few people marrying this way, even two guys married as gay couple (not gays anyway) and mostly went through good. But I also know some where that wasn't a case. One friend already had child with today's husband, while still married to a guy with bad gambling habits. That was not known to her before, but cost her just the same...

Edit:spelling

We've spoken about our opinions on marriage before citizenship/residency ever came up (and after, of course) and we both have the same opinions! Were your friends gaining residency/citizenship here in Argentina or another country?

ShawarmaJames

Man..just do what your heart tells you to do.

Do not be discouraged by this conversation.

All the best.

Thanks, will do. However, it is always good to know other people's opinions!

Were your friends gaining residency/citizenship here in Argentina or another country?

Europe mostly, here I know also, but I never spoke about obtaining citizenship this way. I guess it must be quite easy, otherwise people complain :)

If two normal people do that, it's OK. We just want to help, there is much to consider taking this step, but of course we don't have sufficient data to judge ;)

You don't need about "something a friend told me" because to live here without a "greencard" is not illegal.

Once you get married, you can apply for citizenship the same day. The requirement to be in Argentina for 2 years is waived if you're married to an Argentine. You don't necessarily need to have regular income, either you or your spouse should have it, if your spouse is financially supporting you, she'll have a go to the juzgado with you and sign a statement saying just that. Other requirements that are not waived: You should be at least 18 years old, you should have either your passport, DNI or birth certificate, you should be able to get a police certificate or in your case I think its the FBI report showing that you have not committed any crimes. Some requirements depending on which judge you get are: You should be able to understand and speak Spanish, etc.

If you get permanent residency based on marriage, as far as I understand it, it is revoked if you get divorced because its issued based on ley 616/10 Art 22 A which states "ARTICULO 22.- El extranjero que solicite su residencia permanente deberá acreditar:

a) Ser cónyuge, progenitor o hijo de argentino nativo, naturalizado o por opción; teniendo en cuenta principios de unidad, sostén y con el alcance del derecho de reunificación familiar establecido en la legislación pertinente y en el artículo 10 de la presente Reglamentación."

Other than that, I agree with Serafina, you do sound nuts. If you think you hate the US government and are looking for an escape from all that craziness here then you're in for a really wild ride here in good ole Argentina. But hey, your life. If you want to jump off a cliff go right ahead, I just hope the information I provided above helps you jump without delay.
This post should provide some relevant information on the question about the two year redicency requirment for citizenship with marriage to an Argentine.

Back