Citizenship

do you know if I can apply for citizenship as soon as I am married? Or do I first have to obtain the permanent residency and then apply for citizenship?

If the court insists that you have a DNI, I believe you would first have to obtain the permanent residency...

Last edited:
Ok thank you! But the permanent residency should be just a matter of a couple of months no? So I should be able to apply for the citizenship three months after the marriage in any case, right?

Hi again,
do you know if I can apply for citizenship as soon as I am married? Or do I first have to obtain the permanent residency and then apply for citizenship?
Thank you in advance!

This page says 2 years residency requirement does not apply if you are getting citizenship by marriage. It does not say that there is any residency requirement in this case.

My understanding is that you apply for citizenship first, then you receive "Carta de Ciudadania"/Naturalization Certificate, then you apply for DNI.

Hi again,
Thank you in advance!
Straight. DNU 70/2017 does not modify the spouse application.

This page says 2 years residency requirement does not apply if you are getting citizenship by marriage. It does not say that there is any residency requirement in this case.

My understanding is that you apply for citizenship first, then you receive "Carta de Ciudadania"/Naturalization Certificate, then you apply for DNI.
I married an Argentine citizen in the United States and am intending to get Argentine citizenship. Here is my understanding (though it may be wrong).

Being married does not waive the residency requirement, it reduces it from two years to one year. This is what I was told at multiple immigration offices. I therefore applied for Permanent Residency in October 2019 and received it in March 2020. (more details of that in the thread: Are you illegal while waiting for residency?)

I know that the document you shared says this is waived:
Tener 2 años de residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país, certificada por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones (excepto si contrajo matrimonio con un ciudadano argentino nativo y/o tiene un hijo nativo).
however, I was told at each office that that was not correct, and it was only reduced to one year.

I do not know what "residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país" means. Does that mean I can't leave the country at all during the year or two before I apply for citizenship? I am looking for answers to this, and also does the permanent residency ever expire (if for example I live in Brazil for 2 years). Maybe Bajo_cero2 can clarify or correct my misunderstandings.

I married an Argentine citizen in the United States and am intending to get Argentine citizenship. Here is my understanding (though it may be wrong).

Being married does not waive the residency requirement, it reduces it from two years to one year. This is what I was told at multiple immigration offices. I therefore applied for Permanent Residency in October 2019 and received it in March 2020. (more details of that in the thread: Are you illegal while waiting for residency?)

Tener 2 años de residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país, certificada por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones (excepto si contrajo matrimonio con un ciudadano argentino nativo y/o tiene un hijo nativo).
however, I was told at each office that that was not correct, and it was only reduced to one year.

I do not know what "residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país" means. Does that mean I can't leave the country at all during the year or two before I apply for citizenship? I am looking for answers to this, and also does the permanent residency ever expire (if for example I live in Brazil for 2 years). Maybe Bajo_cero2 can clarify or correct my misunderstandings.
I found the answer to my question about leaving the country for 2 years. As other posters said, you have to come back for a day every two years to keep permanent residency. I still can't find what "Tener 2 años de residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país" means specifically.
I still don't know if I can leave the country during the year before I apply for citizenship. For example, if I got my permanent residency in March 2020, spend christmas in USA, then come back and apply for citizenship in March 2021.

1. You by pass legal residency (green card) and the years of living in Argentina and you can apply for citizenship the day after you married.
2. 1 year? No way.
3. Uninterrupted residency is for the legal residency (green card) not for citizenship.
4. In theory Court opens by internet on Monday. You can apply since Monday for citizenship if you are in Argentina but you need a lawyer yes or yes because only him can apply using the Court website.

I found the answer to my question about leaving the country for 2 years. As other posters said, you have to come back for a day every two years to keep permanent residency. I still can't find what "Tener 2 años de residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país" means specifically.
I still don't know if I can leave the country during the year before I apply for citizenship. For example, if I got my permanent residency in March 2020, spend christmas in USA, then come back and apply for citizenship in March 2021.
This is a requirement from war decree 532/1945. You had to go to Immigration and get that certificate that, nowadays, does not exist.

1. You by pass legal residency (green card) and the years of living in Argentina and you can apply for citizenship the day after you married.
2. 1 year? No way.
3. Uninterrupted residency is for the legal residency (green card) not for citizenship.
4. In theory Court opens by internet on Monday. You can apply since Monday for citizenship if you are in Argentina but you need a lawyer yes or yes because only him can apply using the Court website.
Thank you for clarifying Bajo_cero2. Could you direct message me? I tried sending you a message but it says I'm not allowed.

1. You bypass legal residency (green card) and the years of living in Argentina and you can apply for citizenship the day after you married.
But you still need to comply with the other requirements, right, like for example obtaining the "antecedentes" from your native country?

Back