Citizenship

Hi All, got an update finally:

Estimado: Se le hace saber que sus oficios ya fueron confeccionados y estan a la firma, una vez que salgan le asignare un turno para que venga a retirarlos

What exactly are my next steps after picking up the oficios, and finally getting my citizenship letter? How far along am I in the process?

Thanks!

Hi All, got an update finally:

Estimado: Se le hace saber que sus oficios ya fueron confeccionados y estan a la firma, una vez que salgan le asignare un turno para que venga a retirarlos

What exactly are my next steps after picking up the oficios, and finally getting my citizenship letter? How far along am I in the process?

Thanks!
I am not an expert but I think you are at the very beginning. In which city are you applying ?

CABA is the best place to apply. Half of the judges are good, half bad.
Hello Bajo
If I enter Argentina today, how months does it take to acquire citizenship in CABA? (from enter to passport)
Of course it means hire you and apply the day I arrive and with legal passport, legal entry, clean criminal record.

Hello Bajo
If I enter Argentina today, how months does it take to acquire citizenship in CABA? (from enter to passport)
Of course it means hire you and apply the day I arrive and with legal passport, legal entry, clean criminal record.
2 years plus some months. How many depends on who is the judge. Impossible to say having 20 different options between judges & Secretaries.

Reading this thread makes me wonder. Seems like the situation is like: I enter Argentina on a tourist Visa on holidays from my job. Then while I am here within the visa duration, I apply for citizenship, which can be even the next day. Of course a lawyer will be helping me through. And then I leave Argentina back to my country to my current job etc. And I maybe visit once in a while and after two years plus some months I get Argentine citizenship. That's it?? Really?? Or am I missing something like Spanish ancestry etc. (which I don't have even remotely)??

Reading this thread makes me wonder. Seems like the situation is like: I enter Argentina on a tourist Visa on holidays from my job. Then while I am here within the visa duration, I apply for citizenship, which can be even the next day. Of course a lawyer will be helping me through. And then I leave Argentina back to my country to my current job etc. And I maybe visit once in a while and after two years plus some months I get Argentine citizenship. That's it?? Really?? Or am I missing something like Spanish ancestry etc. (which I don't have even remotely)??
No, in the overwhelming majority of cases you need 2 years of residence temporaria, permanent and/or precaria.

No, in the overwhelming majority of cases you need 2 years of residence temporaria, permanent and/or precaria.
Thanks for replying! And what is considered temporary residence? If you forgive my absolute naiveté, a 90 days tourist visa (which I gather could be extended while in the country for another 90) is not a temporary residence? And how is "residence" counted? if you go in and out, those days are not counted towards the 2 years? again, please forgive my absolute ignorance.

Thanks for replying! And what is considered temporary residence? If you forgive my absolute naiveté, a 90 days tourist visa (which I gather could be extended while in the country for another 90) is not a temporary residence? And how is "residence" counted? if you go in and out, those days are not counted towards the 2 years? again, please forgive my absolute ignorance.
Tourists are admitted under residente TRANSITORIO. Depending on who you ask it may or may not count toward an eventual citizenship case (almost certainly it would not). People who have managed to obtain citizenship entering as tourists usually stay here for several years (overstaying or doing visa runs) and establish lives here, but they are literally stuck in ARG for the duration of their case as Migraciones would likely just reject them at the border if they try to return for abusing the system. Certainly nothing to do with the example you gave of just applying and leaving and jetsetting your nomad sekf around the globe while someone at the court would just miraculously solve your case and give you a passport for having spent 3 months in Argentina . It just doesn't work that way. There are people who legitimately live here for many years have all the papers and it still takes them several years to obtain the carta de ciudadania,

A temporary residency is a 365-day right to live in Argentina that you have to apply for from the National Directorate for Migrations, provided you can find a category amongst the several they offer that you fit into (which is not easy).

Simplifying, if you are successful in your request for temporary residency, 365 days from the date they issue you the temporary residency you can extend the temporary residency for another 365 days (another 12 months in other words) provided you still meet the same criteria AND spent a minimum of 183 days in Argentina during the first 365 days. You can do this again for a third year of temporary residency and will at the end of the third year be eligible to apply for permanent residency. Citizenship is, of course, a separate process, not managed by the National Directorate for Migrations, but, as you can see from the advice on this thread, you need to access and use the temporary residency system in order to get a foothold for the citizenship system.

Even it is true that you can apply right away, you must be living here to get citizenship. Even there are not rules about how many days per year you must be here, no less than 7 monts per year seems minimum.

Back