clamping down on perma-tourists

EliA said:
However, every third woman I see here is pregnant or toting a baby or two so that's hardly a concern in Argentina. I wonder: what's their motivation for the blanqueo?

A large part of those women might just be the immigrants we're talking about...

ReemsterCARP said:
A large part of those women might just be the immigrants we're talking about...

None of the immigrant women whose babies were born in Argentina will ever have any serious visa issues. I don't think we are talking about them in the context of perma-tourists and most of them are from bordering countries. Though there may be a few exceptions, all of the female perma-tourists I've met here are single, from Europe, North America, or Australia and none of them have children.

steveinbsas said:
Malbec is right.

The police never check to see if you're "legally" here, even when you are reporting a robbery (which eventually you will).

You will still have to pay the overstay fine at EZE when you leave.

If they do tell you you can't return for a specific period of time, just go somewhere else until then (of course if you "live" in Argentina you have a problem).

Meanwhile, stop going to Uruguay and supporting all of the businesses who prey on paranoid foreigners who are only trying to stay "legal" and just forget the whole "perma-tourist" thing.

BTW: Until we see at least a few more posts reporting similar experiences to LeavingBA's, there is still reason to doubt there has really been such a severe "crackdown" AKA: policy shift at migraciones.

Steve is right, no more time and money wasted on trips to Uruguay(although I like the country). Just pay the fine when you leave.

I went to Colonia yesterday. While returning i asked the argentine custom agent there how many times i was allowed to cross forth and back the border. He told me i was allowed it as much as needed.

The travel cost me the same price as the fine, since i missed the ferry back, due to problems with the time difference. Got charged too much for bad food, Found the town uninteresting. The last quick ferry back got delayed by two hours due to engine problems. The only distraction i had there was watching a local killing a big rat in the main street.

If you feel confortable with being illigal in a foreign country, i wouldnt recommend as well the trip to Colonia. Depressing.

azerty said:
If you feel confortable with being illigal in a foreign country, i wouldnt recommend as well the trip to Colonia. Depressing.

This is a bad idea. You may not get a huge stamp in your passport that says "VISA VIOLATOR," but it doesn't take a whole lot of research to figure out if a visa has been overstayed. After all, any amendments (with regard to extensions) to a visa are noted in your passport.

I think it would be wise to play by the rules. If you ever apply for a visa in a country that does its research, you could be denied.

Well, azerty's experience just confirms the confusion really. A week or two, someone else had their passport number and address taken and was given 5 days to get out of Dodge. Azerty asks and is told, "hey, stay all you like." Azerty, are you american??

I've been to colonia 4 times now. I would recommend others, instead of just heading left to the old town, do what I did last time (in december). Head straight on and go and spend some time on the long sandy beach. I sat under a tree that was just made for reading and sleeping last time, ate some fruit, read half a book, wrote some postcards and had a fantastic afternoon.

total expenditure: 150 on return slow boat, 30 on fruit and snacks.

My guess is that since no one has confirmed the existence of any law stating 180 days - it's really up to the official you deal with and I would argue that in absence of the law, you absolutely could challenge being told to leave. Besides, the person who was told to leave the country in 5 days - did they ever specify how long he had to leave for? 1 week? 1 month? 1 year? Again, absent any law that clearly states "180 day maximum in a) a calendar year or b) a 365 day period - how can they tell someone they have to leave? Just doesn't make sense...

It may be true that there is no law preventing a tourist from leaving and reentering the country to get a new visa transitoria, but if migraciones changes the policy what are those who are denied reentry going to do? Sue the government?

Presently, the law clearly states that tourists are granted a 90 day visa transitoria on entry and it may be extended once for an additional 90 days (the phrase "prorrogas de permanencia" literally means "extension of stay").

Sooner or later, Argentine migraciones will (hopefully) implement a consistent policy regarding those foreigners who were here on a tourist visa and then departed the country only to return the same day...just to stay legal by getting a new visa transitoria.

If it is similar to that of the US or even Brazil, they won't be allowed reentry.

I would be equally concerned that at some point they may indeed stamp the passports of those who are leaving after one or more visa overstays with a denial of reentry for a yet to be specified period of time.

A stamp like that in your passport would certainly make it difficult to board a plane to return to Argentina, let alone actually reenter the country.

Not to mention affect the chances of getting a resident visa in the future...

esllou said:
Azerty asks and is told, "hey, stay all you like." Azerty, are you american??

If Azerty is not a citizen of the U.S., Canada or Australia, I bet this has a lot to do with it. Given the fact that they are now charging this reciprocity fee for Americans, Canadians and Australians, is it possible that they are now being reciprocal with the amount of days allowed in the country as well?:confused:

Back