clamping down on perma-tourists

Get a new passport, most countries I know allow you to have 2 passports(especially for Israel - Arabia bullshit)

I went to Colonia on Oct 13 and had no problems with immigration. It is obvious that my trip was for the purpose of renewing my tourist visa. I have done so since 1999. I have renewed at migraciones only five times, the last time was January 2009. I prefer going to Colonia every 90 days and will continue to do so to remain a legal tourist in Argentina.

Wow, I'm a little worried now. I've been here since early 2006. I did the trip-to-Colonia thing about 6 times probably, and the last time (more than a year ago), the guy gave me a funny look when I was returning and said something like "what are you up to?" before letting me through. Since then I haven't been renewing my tourist visa - I got really sick of the trip to Colonia, plus several people assured me that there would be no consequences apart from the fine, and I also decided it was just as risky as overstaying since I would be getting looked at by immigrations all the time.

So now when I go back home in March for a month, I'm worried I will have problems coming back in. I have a serious girlfriend here, and plan on staying in Argentina indefinitely. I would love to get a residency but have found it impossible (I'm mainly teaching English to make a living so I don't qualify for anything, and I can't really afford to do a degree here). I also won't be getting married for several years at least, so that is not an option.

Has anyone in a similar situation to me been through immigrations recently? I'd love to know if you had any problems, since it would be quite devastating to me if I wasn't allowed back in.

Diskosis said:
I got really sick of the trip to Colonia, plus several people assured me that there would be no consequences apart from the fine, and I also decided it was just as risky as overstaying since I would be getting looked at by immigrations all the time.

I'd love to know if you had any problems, since it would be quite devastating to me if I wasn't allowed back in.

Diskosis

So here's the deal!

You got tired of obeying the law, and made a decision that you now want this forum to validate.

Nobody here makes the trip to Colonia because they love to piss away a day every 3 months. You do it because of the rules!

I suspect you will, in fact, be able to pay the fine and be able to re-enter Argentina, but perhaps not, and no matter what, you WILL have a record of visa violations and what ever made you think that would be a good thing, especially for someone who would be "quite devastated" if you weren't allowed back in!

My suggestion is don't be such a boludo, obey the immigration laws, and don't expect a whole lot of sympathy from those of us did!

Good luck!

David

Diskosis said:
...plus several people assured me that there would be no consequences apart from the fine...

I'm sorry that I can't assuage your fears, but I have three questions (I'm actually going to answer my second question with a third.):

Who gave you these assurances and why did you believe them?

Why should Argentine migraciones enforce their own regulations (federal laws)?

Why shouldn't they?

I know a Yank who was living here for years and years on a tourist visa with no problems. He hired a lawyer and applied for a work visa and residency and now immigration wants to toss him out. Its been a huge headache for him. Dont think that a lawyer is the answer.

steveinbsas said:
I'm sorry that I can't assuage your fears, but I have three questions (I'm actually going to answer my second question with a third.):

Who gave you these assurances and why did you believe them?

Why should Argentine migraciones enforce their own regulations (federal laws)?

Why shouldn't they?

I have spoken to many expats here about the issue and at least a ten people have told me from personal experience that overstaying your visa does not result in any problems. I believed them because I heard numerous stories of people staying for years without renewing their visa, then heading home without any problems. I'm not out to break the law, but as I mentioned I felt I was running just as much risk of receiving unwanted attention from immigration by travelling back and forth to Uruguay - I may well be mistaken there.

In answer to your third question, I'll answer with another one: Why wouldn't they? Because there are hundreds or thousands of laws that get ignored every day in Argentina.

Perhaps I gambled on the wrong strategy; I hope not. I was hoping to hear from someone in a similar situation.

Lee said:
If Argentina no longer wants those who do not wish to submit to governmental red tape there are countries who will.

Have you ever tried to get into Brazil?

Lee said:
I didn't evolve on this planet to become a tax number for some fucking government.

Haven't you been one since the day you were born?

Back