clamping down on perma-tourists

Diskosis said:
Wow, I'm a little worried now...

...when I go back home in March for a month, I'm worried I will have problems coming back in...

...since it would be quite devastating to me if I wasn't allowed back in.

Although I can't give you any assurances, I really wouldn't worry too much at this point. Ashley started this thread when she was denied another 90 day extension at the prorrogas de permnencia. Even though she may now be pursuing a work visa instead, I believe she still had the option to leave and legally renter the country. Unless immigration writes something in you passport (when you leave in March) that prohibits you from reentering within a specific period, you should be OK. I haven't heard or read of this happening in Argentina (yet).

Diskosis said:
I have spoken to many expats here about the issue and at least a ten people have told me from personal experience that overstaying your visa does not result in any problems. I believed them because I heard numerous stories of people staying for years without renewing their visa, then heading home without any problems. I'm not out to break the law, but as I mentioned I felt I was running just as much risk of receiving unwanted attention from immigration by travelling back and forth to Uruguay - I may well be mistaken there.

In answer to your third question, I'll answer with another one: Why wouldn't they? Because there are hundreds or thousands of laws that get ignored every day in Argentina.

Perhaps I gambled on the wrong strategy; I hope not. I was hoping to hear from someone in a similar situation.

You are absolutely right about the fact that "there are hundreds or thousands of laws that get ignored every day in Argentina " but would ad the following two words: by Argentines.

The problem for expats is that when we ignore the laws that apply only to us we are inviting resentment as well as retaliation (the boot): the greater the resentment, the greater the (eventual) enforcement.

I watched it happen a few years ago in Mexico. Ironically, it was a group of Argentines that were deported.

I overstayed my year long student visa by about 3 months... by accident. I left and returned before my student visa expired and I didn´t realize I wasn´t given a tourist visa upon reentry. I just reentered on my not quite expired student visa. I´m going to Uruguay tomorrow. And hoping to return. Anybody know what might happen? I´m returning to school in March and just took 6 months off to travel. So I´m not a so called "perma tourist" (I have 3 entries and 2 exits on my passports and I have copies of my student visa for the year) but I´m still worried...

sharkbait08 said:
So I´m not a so called "perma tourist" (I have 3 entries and 2 exits on my passports and I have copies of my student visa for the year) but I´m still worried...
I am. Perma as perma can get. I need a stamp this week. (So far I've been "continually 'legal'" and I don't want to break my streak.)

I was thinking about going up to Paysandú for a night just to see something new. I think the roundtrip is ~AR$60 (or maybe that's one way) and then spending a night in Paysandú, UR can't be too expensive. But to be honest, the early part of this thread got me worried. And now that I have an Argentine girlfriend (and all of the being waited on hand and foot that our particular relationship entails... although I've tried, she won't let me wash dishes because according to her "that's for women"... god bless her), I really don't want to get booted.

Anyway, after Paysandú and Punta for New Year's, I'm going to look into trying to get something more solid that a tourist visa. I just don't want to get snagged on this latest visa run, so I was thinking of hitting a different border crossing.

I came across this rentista term a couple times on the boards... what is the rentista visa all about?

ryanmpls said:
I came across this rentista term a couple times on the boards... what is the rentista visa all about?

The visa rentista is issued to those who can demonstrate "stable" foreign income from investments or a trust of at least $2700 pesos per month ($1000 USD was commonly used when the exchange rate was close to 3 to 1). The income cannot be a "salary" from a foreign company, but all you really need is a notarized letter from a CPA (with the seal of the Apostille) that you will receive this income while you are living in ARGENTINA. Deposits into a local bank are required. The income can be from property rentals, but the word "rentista" in Spanish has a much broader meaning.

There are a number of threads in the forum you can find using the search feature. If you enter "visa rentista argentina" in a google search you will find links like this (which has an excellent explanation of acceptable income):

http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com/2005/10/qualifying-for-financier-rentista-visa.html

If you have income from a pension or social security, you can apply for the visa pensionado.

Just to keep everyone updated. I've been going through the "getting a work visa" thing for over a month now and am still awaiting legality! I went to see an immigrations lawyer (a good one!) and was told that things have been changing (for the worse) as far as foreigners (no merco sur) and lax immigrations policies are concerned all year - and are getting stricter approximately every 3 months.
Basically, start the tramites to get your permanent visas (if you can) asap because they are only getting more difficult. And if you need to leave the country in the meantime, take as many of your official documents with you as possible (to prove that you're applying for the visa).
From what I'm being told, people with a lot of stamps in their passports are getting seriously grilled coming back in, or are given 30 days to sort themselves out. I don't think deportation is the norm as yet.
I've been thinking about just biting the bullet and getting hitched (unless you work for a multinational, getting the work visa papers together from a small Argentine company is a slow and painful process) but may have to take one final trip to Uruguay if they don't let me marry with an expired tourist visa. I'll be paying my 4th overstay fine and attempting to renew my visa for, like, the 17th time...so if anyone's going to face the s***, it'll be me! I'm happy to be a lesson to you all though !!! And will update from my cell in Ezieza if needs be...

Get married just to live in the 4th world? Got to kidding.

ghost said:
Get married just to live in the 4th world? Got to kidding.

That's not nice, most people aren't here for the amenities. Plus it's def second, perhaps 2.5 world, def not 3rd (ever been to Rwanda?). What IS 4th world anyway, a latrine colony?

Back