Cleanliness of Palermo or Other Safe Neighborhoods

Steer clear of Puerto de Mar del Plata. The worse stench of any barrio I've ever visited in Argentina. Imagine dead rotten fish.

Last edited:
I think the issue with dog poop is greatly exaggerated. Sure, occasionally someone might not clean up after their dog, but 15 years ago, the idea of doing so wasn't even on people's radar. I believe, if you can handle downtown Chicago or San Francisco, this probably shouldn't be a problem for you.

Besides, aren't you bothered by whole families living on the streets? Where do you think they go to use the bathroom?
Truth be told, I haven't been to either one of those cities so I couldn't really say - and yes that would obviously bother anyone, I assume. It would bother me. I have been a small town dweller my whole life so this is really going to be a change no matter where I end up and I am good with that and I expect an adjustment period. But, I really do just want to find some place that is clean. I would be just fine with a town of a population under ten thousand. But, it's likely my Spanish would need to improve in that case. So I will likely seek out a city where some people speak English and after I learn the language better move on to a less crowded area.

Just out of curiosity, how did you decide to come to BA? If you want a clean situation with less chance of crime and poop, I would think Belgrano or Villa Urquiza or maybe Palermo Hollywood would be less 'poopy' than areas closer to downtown. But it's a pretty gritty place at the moment, not gonna lie.

I think the issue with dog poop is greatly exaggerated. Sure, occasionally someone might not clean up after their dog, but 15 years ago, the idea of doing so wasn't even on people's radar. I believe, if you can handle downtown Chicago or San Francisco, this probably shouldn't be a problem for you.

Besides, aren't you bothered by whole families living on the streets? Where do you think they go to use the bathroom?

San Francisco... from what I hear, the problem there is the poop on the sidewalk isn't from dogs.

Truth be told, I haven't been to either one of those cities so I couldn't really say - and yes that would obviously bother anyone, I assume. It would bother me. I have been a small town dweller my whole life so this is really going to be a change no matter where I end up and I am good with that and I expect an adjustment period. But, I really do just want to find some place that is clean. I would be just fine with a town of a population under ten thousand. But, it's likely my Spanish would need to improve in that case. So I will likely seek out a city where some people speak English and after I learn the language better move on to a less crowded area.

There are probably a bunch of small towns that fit the bill. One that comes to mind is La Cumbre, Cordoba. Bonus is they speak English more than other small towns in Argentina because some of them are actually descendants of the English to settled there to build the railroad or something. That said, I'd at least walk through Palermo or other neighborhoods of BsAs to see if it's really a problem for you. Nothing like "feet on the ground".

Just out of curiosity, how did you decide to come to BA? If you want a clean situation with less chance of crime and poop, I would think Belgrano or Villa Urquiza or maybe Palermo Hollywood would be less 'poopy' than areas closer to downtown. But it's a pretty gritty place at the moment, not gonna lie.
It pretty much all started when I was reading about different countries and came across the Blue Dollar rate. It almost sounded too good to be true. But I looked into it, found out that yes, that's how it works. Then I saw some beautiful photos, looked Argentina up on the US travel advisory map and saw that it appears to be safe. All in all, on the surface Argentina seemed to fit the bill. I live outside the city limits of a town with a population under 5,000. It's a twenty-minute drive to Walmart. I have no problem with that, but since I don't want to drive in a foreign country (who knows what laws I might accidentally break...) I started looking at Buenos Aires due to the many options for walking, biking, or public transportation. I would end up flying into Buenos Aires if I go to Argentina anyway but I think it's probably just not the right fit for me after all. So, I'm looking into some of the other suggestions people have made.

There are probably a bunch of small towns that fit the bill. One that comes to mind is La Cumbre, Cordoba. Bonus is they speak English more than other small towns in Argentina because some of them are actually descendants of the English to settled there to build the railroad or something. That said, I'd at least walk through Palermo or other neighborhoods of BsAs to see if it's really a problem for you. Nothing like "feet on the ground".
Thanks very much for the tip! That might just work if I can find a place.

Argentina is not much cheaper than USA these days, if that’s what you were coming for. The days of Yankees coming to take advantage are over

Argentina is not much cheaper than USA these days, if that’s what you were coming for. The days of Yankees coming to take advantage are over

I still find it much cheaper than the US, outside of electronics, appliances, clothing.

Do other people think it's not much cheaper? Curious if I'm the only one thinking this

Back