"Closed Door" Restaurants

halYEM said:
edward and carlos? is that you?
great time meeting you, and yes the meal was fantastic!

That'd be us. It was great meeting you 2 as well. Keep in touch! :)

Diego Felix was great & I thought the food was very well-prepared, low stress and really enjoyable. Saltshaker didn't do much for me. I'll have to try Cocina Sunae that just opened - thanks for posting the reviews

I had some friends that recently went to Casa SaltShaker and didn't really enjoy it. They said the food was so-so and the prices were higher than Casa Felix.

My problem was more with the 'tude than the food, I've felt more welcome in the local Burger King than this place.

I've never been to Casa Felix but I continue to hear only great things.

I have been to A little Saigon, mentioned in the originality post. Thuy, the hostess/chef is very welcoming and her great personality ads a lot to the evening and the Vietnamese Food was fantastic, especially for those of us who have been craving a little spice after a few months in BA. I definitely recommend it.

www.alittlesaigon.com (I think)

citygirl said:
Diego Felix was great & I thought the food was very well-prepared, low stress and really enjoyable. Saltshaker didn't do much for me. I'll have to try Cocina Sunae that just opened - thanks for posting the reviews

Citygirl (et al...), I was reminded by a friend that Sunae is back in town and is open this Friday night. She went to back to the States for a few weeks (maybe a month?). Anyway, just thought that I'd pass the news along.

Here's this Friday's menu: http://www.cocinasunae.blogspot.com/

I have not experienced this closed door restaurant concept as of yet. The reviews appear to be mixed between friends plugging the place and those that went unbiased and had a good or bad experience. This forum is overall very useful, except for the extremely pushy and often discriminative views of what appears to be senior members and/or moderators of this supposed open site.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH well! That is how things go I guess. The members that control the content are crystal clear. What a pity! I was hoping to open my breakfast nook in my quaint little flat for afternoon tea and crumpets. Why shant I make a few pesos as well? He he haha

I love these posts!

Bessos

Tea @ Freddys'

Thanks for the update Napoleon! I ended up going for dinner last Friday at Cocina Sunae. It was wonderful! Delicious food and a wonderful host and hostess! :) The whole atmosphere was great. My husband, our friends and I enjoyed everything, I definitely recommend Cocina Sunae.

I love the closed-door concept, it's so intimate. If anyone comes across any other places like this, please post a review! :)

fooddude said:
I've never been to Casa Felix but I continue to hear only great things.

I have been to A little Saigon, mentioned in the originality post. Thuy, the hostess/chef is very welcoming and her great personality ads a lot to the evening and the Vietnamese Food was fantastic, especially for those of us who have been craving a little spice after a few months in BA. I definitely recommend it.

www.alittlesaigon.com (I think)

Disclosure: I am friends with Thuy and have helped her in the past a few times as a server at the restaurant or with other preparations. But I would like to wholeheartedly agree with the above comments. Her dishes are delicious. She buys quality ingredients and truly enjoys cooking for the guests. She has also responded to feedback to make the experience even better.

Harry,

Sorry you had a bad experience with us - most of our guests enjoy themselves and we have a large cadre of regulars, but it's not for everyone. I hope you'll give us another shot one night - perhaps it was just an off-night, which does happen.

I would note one thing - we don't ask for tips as you stated, the little boxes are only presented to the person who made the reservation, with a bill, and are just to pay the bill, nothing more - Henry and I own the place together, and an additional tip is completely unnecessary and not expected.

As to a couple of the other comments - our prices are the same as Casa Felix' - we talk with each other regularly. Whether or not you feel our value is equal to Diego and Sanra's offerings, is, of course, a matter of personal preference.

Dan

Back