"Closed Door" Restaurants

I recently visited Casa Saltshaker with a friend from the Hostal I was staying at. We had a great time mixing it up with the international crowd, we enjoyed the wine pairings, and the food... I'd consider it to be eclectic, gourmet comfort food... all the dishes were quite solid. The service was warm and friendly, although the server doesn't speak English very well, it's quite easy to figure out that I wanted more wine, which he happily poured me a half a glass. I would recommend this restaurant to people who are willing to live outside their bubble, try something new, and have the patience to sit next to someone they just met. Definitely a type A place, but then again they have a smaller table for those who are looking for more of a private five-course dining experience.

mini said:
Which ones are your favorites so far?

Casa Felix and Cocina Sunae. Excellent, flavorful, unique dishes. And SPICY if you've been missing that... :) I think the value is great too, they serve 5 course meals. Everything was delicious. Definitely go if you haven't been... I'll come with you! :D

Where are these Bianca? I am intersted for sure! Especially if there is somespicy food on offer!

Bianca said:
Casa Felix and Cocina Sunae. Excellent, flavorful, unique dishes. And SPICY if you've been missing that... :) I think the value is great too, they serve 5 course meals. Everything was delicious. Definitely go if you haven't been... I'll come with you! :D

I've been to Casa Felix* . But I haven't tried Cocina Sunae. If you want to go again, we could definitely plan it! I'd like to go to Thuy's one day... I just never get around to booking in advance.

*with you actually, we were at the other table ;)

Speaking of spicy food I'm really missing a traditional English Curry.

I found a shop selling really hot birds eye type chillies yesterday and excitedly came home to make myself a sandwich. My Argentine flat mate looked at me chopping it up and asked if he could try some. As he has previously nearly poisoned me with fernet I thought he was fair game. 'Of course help yourself' help yourself I said.

I haven't laughed so much in a long time, he really went a nice shade of red spitting it out into his hand.

I learnt some new Spanish words and I don't think he'll be eating my food again!

Anyway are the addresses of these places in this thread somewhere?

RichG said:
Speaking of spicy food I'm really missing a traditional English Curry.
I've found that Banglore's "poo-poo platter" (not really what it's called, but it's three curry sampler) is pretty good. I've eaten there at least once with an English girl who thought it really hit the spot. I'm fairly certain that it's the same owner as Gibraltar in San Telmo and Gibraltar also has curries.

Then there are also about 5 Indian restaurants that constantly advertise in the Buenos Aires Herald. Buy one (AR$2.50) and look at the ads.

RichG said:
Anyway are the addresses of these places in this thread somewhere?

Page one has the links. You can try to look them up on guiaoleo.com.ar (at least casa felix is on there.

RichG said:
I found a shop selling really hot birds eye type chillies yesterday and excitedly came home to make myself a sandwich. My Argentine flat mate looked at me chopping it up and asked if he could try some. As he has previously nearly poisoned me with fernet I thought he was fair game. 'Of course help yourself' help yourself I said.

I haven't laughed so much in a long time, he really went a nice shade of red spitting it out into his hand.

I learnt some new Spanish words and I don't think he'll be eating my food again!

Oh my! That is probably the funniest thing I've heard all day! WTH is fernet anyway?

Brook said:
Where are these Bianca? I am intersted for sure! Especially if there is somespicy food on offer!

The two I went to were in Chacarita, but the first post on this thread has the websites for four of these closed-door restaurants.

mini said:
I've been to Casa Felix* . But I haven't tried Cocina Sunae. If you want to go again, we could definitely plan it! I'd like to go to Thuy's one day... I just never get around to booking in advance.

*with you actually, we were at the other table ;)

Wow! I had no idea... that's the thing with sitting at different tables though... I didn't get to meet anyone at your table! Or maybe we met, but didn't get a chance to talk. Anyway, it was a great time and I really liked it there. Let's try A Little Saigon! I can't make it to the next dinner (this weekend), but how about the one after that? The weekend of July 24th. Here's the menu for that day... let me know if you're interested! (You too Brook!)

July 24-26
"Pork!!!"

Starter
Pork filled dumplings with spicy dipping sauce

Appetizer
Spicy cabbage salad with Nouc Cham dressing.

Main Course
Egg noodle soup with homemade roast pork.
Garnished with fresh vegetables and herbs and served with soy and sriracha sauce.

Dessert
Home-made Almond cookies

Beverages
Wine, beer, and water are served with appetizers and dinner.
Dessert is served with Jasmin tea.

When
Friday, July 24 (12 seats available)
Saturday, July 25 (12 seats available)
AND Sunday, July 26 (12 seats available)​

Back